Scale imports into blender

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Scale imports into blender

Postby Taholmes160 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm

How do I get my toons to import at the right sive into blender. They are either giants or tiny

Thanks
Tim
Taholmes160

Re: Scale imports into blender

Postby wolgade » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 pm

You want to import MH characters to an existing scene? Don't scale the character, scale the scene you want to import into. Find some part of the scene where you know the dimensions. Look at the dimensions in BU. Calculate the scale to match your character. By default you export from MH with 1 BU = 1 dm.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Taholmes160 wrote:How do I get my toons to import at the right sive into blender. They are either giants or tiny

Thanks
Tim

Well, normally we use the mhx2 format and you can choose something like centimeter, meter etc. before exporting, mainly factors 1, 10, 100 ...

If you want to change that without exporting once again or you need other sizes you can also do it manually. I just have done that a few minutes ago for my last fashion render ...

supersizeme.png

It is always possible to resize the object.

Only with strand hair and "amplitudes" you get funny effects, because the amplitude will not change and small curls will become bushes ... :lol:
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am

The advice you have gotten is correct, but my own experience is that the de factor setup of Blender units works best when you export from MakeHuman with a meter scale more often than not. As mentioned, mhx2 is a good format to get consistent export/import behavior.

I believe that there is something weird with the 1 m scale suggestion if you use fbx to export, so consider my suggestion with appropriate skepticism.
RobBaer

Postby wolgade » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:49 am

RobBaer wrote:works best when you export from MakeHuman with a meter scale more often than not.

That's what I do, 1m=1BU. And I seriously consider switching to the default 1dm=1BU for the simple reason that cloth simulation simply doesn't work well when values are too small. This is especially true for collisions. Rigid body physics doesn't work at all with small values.
wolgade

Return to Off topic