visual enigma machine - Blender to encrypt/decypher data

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

visual enigma machine - Blender to encrypt/decypher data

Postby grinsegold » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:45 am

I have the idea to use blender to build a free, easy to use encryption device for videos embedded inside other videos. Since i am stuck at the beginning, not having a real clue apart from the guttural feeling that it should work, i though i ask you.
My loose thoughts so far:

-the hidden data should be intact after up- and downloading to and from youtube.

-the key should be some sort of inconspicuous picture. A simple png or jpg say of the chinese wall.

- I have a vague vision that animation nodes could help. And: Could one make use of the different data container formats? 8, 16 and 32 bit? Does youtube store deeper colors than 8 bit? Use the alpha channel?

-How big can the bandwidth of the news get in order for the carrier wave to be unconspicuous? I'm thinking at a shrinked color space for the news. B/w? Changing the value of a pixel of the carrier could be similar to changing what? A compression algo? A letter of the alphabet?

In the end it should work like this: Plug a video into blender; plug an image as well. Get your secret message as outcome. Neither the video nor the image should look conspicuous.

What can you come up with?
grinsegold

Re: visual enigma machine - Blender to encrypt/decypher data

Postby MTKnife » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:47 pm

You may be well ahead of me, but just to check: have you looked at anything on steganography? Granted, that's generally used to hide text, but there's no reason you couldn't use the same algorithms to hide a smaller media file within a larger one. I'm not sure you'd really need Blender, though, since normally steganography is done by directly manipulating the data file.
MTKnife

Postby grinsegold » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 am

MTKnife wrote:You may be well ahead of me, but just to check: have you looked at anything on steganography? Granted, that's generally used to hide text, but there's no reason you couldn't use the same algorithms to hide a smaller media file within a larger one. I'm not sure you'd really need Blender, though, since normally steganography is done by directly manipulating the data file.

Great! Ste-ga-no-graphy - never heard of that. Exactly the wheel i was planning to invent ;) But this time for GUI affine noobs like me. You don't accidentally have experience with the encoding, so you could rebuild the signal process in blender as a nodetree? Anyway, to know on what wikipedia page to find the basic equations is already helpful. Many thanks!
grinsegold

Postby MTKnife » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 am

I don't know much about the technical details, but you're welcome. :-)
MTKnife

Return to Off topic