Blender render alpha when using nodes

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Blender render alpha when using nodes

Postby joepal » Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm trying to set up a scene where I can flip between cycles and blender render at will. To this end I'm setting up blender render nodes as well as cycles nodes in each material in the scene. For example for the eyes:

nodealpha.png

The upper set of nodes is for cycles, the lower is for blender render.

This greys out the transparency panel on the material:

nodealpha2.png

I can't find any combination of settings that makes eyes render properly, when using nodes. If I disable nodes and just add the texture as normal, enable z-transparency in the material panel and set transparency alpha to 0 there, then everything works fine.

Anyone know if it's even possible to get a functional mapping of a texture alpha channel when using blender render nodes?

With the exception of materials that need a texture with an alpha channel, the strategy works surprisingly well.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Blender render alpha when using nodes

Postby Aranuvir » Thu May 04, 2017 11:12 am

Making a MHX2 import to Blender Internal and then adding the cycles nodes was successful, but unfortunately I wasn't able to create the material the other way round. Blender Internal materials are somewhat confusing to me...
Aranuvir

Re: Blender render alpha when using nodes

Postby joepal » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

I got an answer on #blender on freenode. What I was missing was the "render pipeline options" panel on materials, where transparency can be adjusted further when using BI nodes.

But BI nodes are very, very crude compared to cycles nodes.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Off topic