Help exporting from MH and importing to MD

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Help exporting from MH and importing to MD

Postby sforclark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:25 am

I know that this isn't strictly a MakeHuman question and I am not sure where to really post this question but recently I created a model in MakeHuman 1.1.0 and I am trying to make clothing for her using Marvelous Designer 5.5. I have exporting from MakeHuman as an .obj file i selected "feet on ground" and I selected the units as cm. When I import that .obj file using Marvelous Designer I selected "use as avatar" and the units as cm as well. After it is done there is nothing there, my model is inviciable, the default clothes are floating. I tried using blender as a bridge but I got the same results. Could someone help me or point me in the right direction, this is for a school project and I am very new?
sforclark

Re: Help exporting from MH and importing to MD

Postby loki1950 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Try using the collada format on export instead of .obj the file extension will be .dae IIRC MD will import them correctly there a few MD users on the forum that will most likely chime in ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby brkurt » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm

loki1950 wrote:Try using the collada format on export instead of .obj the file extension will be .dae IIRC MD will import them correctly there a few MD users on the forum that will most likely chime in ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

I've used MD extensively, back in version 4 (it is finalizing version 6 right now).

the format is open collada; the best way to get there is through Blender, so you can check your work.

Feel free to use some of my models, made in MH 1.1.0:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/marvelous_designer/ginaCarano20140821.ZPrj

or

http://www.geekopolis.ca/marvelous_designer/ginaCarano1_MD4.ZPrj

The default rig passes from MH to Blender to MD very well indeed. This is important for video creation within MD.
brkurt

Postby sforclark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Thank you for your replies. Just to clarify because I am currently at work right now, so import from Makehuman to blender and export from blender as a collada and import that into marvelous designer right?
sforclark

Postby brkurt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:11 am

sforclark wrote:Thank you for your replies. Just to clarify because I am currently at work right now, so import from Makehuman to blender and export from blender as a collada and import that into marvelous designer right?

Yes, that's how its done. I've left you two projects from MD 4 so you can get the scale right the first time. Otherwise, it's a bit frustrating not to see the rig in MD.
Also, the controls (bounding volumes?, it's been a while) have to be scaled so that you work with the avatar, rig and clothes all at once. 8-)

Be forewarned! Unless there has been a major re-design of the computed mesh since version 5, there will be triangles and quads in the final garment. MH 1.1.0 to Blender 7.x to MD 6 is most likely a one-way trip. :o
brkurt

Return to Off topic