Is there a "outer surface" operation in Blender?

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Is there a "outer surface" operation in Blender?

Postby learning » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:29 pm

I know I'd be better off asking this in some Blender-oriented community, but MH is the only one I know that's at least sorta relevant. So there goes… Suppose I have an object in blender that is made out of several joined objects, some of which may intersect others or be to some degree contained inside one another, i.e., long story short, inside it is a mess. What I want is to get only the outer surface all those intertwining objects form, i.e. the set of outer points of all those objects. Is there a way to easily obtain this in Blender?
learning

Re: Is there a "outer surface" operation in Blender?

Postby joepal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 am

Best I can come up with is joining all the objects and then shrinkwrapping something atop of the result.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm

learning wrote:I know I'd be better off asking this in some Blender-oriented community, but MH is the only one I know that's at least sorta relevant. So there goes… Suppose I have an object in blender that is made out of several joined objects, some of which may intersect others or be to some degree contained inside one another, i.e., long story short, inside it is a mess. What I want is to get only the outer surface all those intertwining objects form, i.e. the set of outer points of all those objects. Is there a way to easily obtain this in Blender?

What you are proposing is a massive retopology; Blender is okay at this, but 3d coat was designed to solve these kinds of problems. :geek:

You can download a trial version and see how it works; the forums are also quite good.
brkurt

Postby learning » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:46 pm

joepal wrote:Best I can come up with is joining all the objects and then shrinkwrapping something atop of the result.

Wow, that's actually not a bad idea!
learning

Postby grinsegold » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Why don't you use the boolian modifier, set to union?
grinsegold

Postby learning » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 pm

grinsegold wrote:Why don't you use the boolian modifier, set to union?

Tried that, but it produces weird meshes that are all but impossible to further work with. Boolean in general is useful if it's the last thing you do to the mesh, which may not be always the case.
learning

Return to Off topic