MetaHuman Creator

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

MetaHuman Creator

Postby SalvoSoftware » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Damn, Epic Games really copied MakeHuman or is it just a coincidence?

It makes me kind of sad that MakeHuman will be overwhelmed by MetaHuman, but it is really amazing. I wonder how many people will mistake MetaHuman with MakeHuman and will download the second instead :D
SalvoSoftware

Re: MetaHuman Creator

Postby bogdan666 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm

As nice as MetaHuman looks, it probably hasn't even full body meshes and will be a cloud only application, which means that you are stuck with just a few hairstyles, body types, clothing assets etc.
Whenever they decide to take the service offline, it will evaporate.
From the first look you get the impression that it is more like an in-game character creator than a fully fletched human creation software.
The realistic skin effect is just some node setup with PBR textures, which is nothing special and can be applied to any character.
The hair technology is not MetaHuman specific and can be used for MakeHuman characters as well.

But it is undeniable that MakeHuman needs to become better. The base rig and body mesh need a massive topology update for allowing realistic posing and animating.
This also means the introduction of bone driven corrective shape keys for joint rotations and muscle flexions.
The UV layout needs a complete rework (better balance: more resolution, esp. at the areas with flexible skin like armpits,knees etc.)
Last but not least the face expressions need an optimization too.
bogdan666

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 am

I agree with pretty much all you say, bogdan. We'd need to recruit an artist who could put in serious man-hours to redo all the targets though. That is work that is likely to exceed months and approach years of effective work.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby fake_Person » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:01 pm

joepal wrote:I agree with pretty much all you say, bogdan. We'd need to recruit an artist who could put in serious man-hours to redo all the targets though. That is work that is likely to exceed months and approach years of effective work.

id wish I could help, I would volunteer for free, but alas I know nothing
14 year old deadbeat http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature#
fake_Person

Return to Off topic