Any plans of changing engine code licence to LGPL?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Any plans of changing engine code licence to LGPL?

Postby devilgreen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Since the engine (the part that transforms .bs files to meshes) can be considered a library, can it be made LGPL? Me and many game programmers like me have to include many commercial middleware in their products, so we are virtually unable to include any code from Makehuman (or any GPLed program) I am speaking for all game programmers :)

What's the benefit of this for Makehuman you might ask. I can clearly say that game programmers can potentially increase the engine's real-time performance pretty good.
devilgreen

Re: Any plans of changing engine code licence to LGPL?

Postby Eternl Knight » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:43 am

Actually a license change to enable using MakeHuman as a "library" would be preferrable for me as well. While game development is on my list of interested uses (see my previous comments in thge Mesh Licensing thread), it would also be nice for the development of other utilities I am working on (Poser Import/Export being but one).

I have always been fond of the wxWidgets license, which is simply the LGPL with an explicit statement allowing static linkage without releasing application source-code. LGPL while disliked by some of the purists, is used for most "copyleft" library code releases. While disliking it, even Richard Stallman (the guy behind GPL) realises the necessity of LGPL fopr wider adoption (he hates the situation, but acknowledges it).

If there is to be a change of license for this - is it possible to be a wxWdigets style license (or even LGPL with explicit static linking permission)? I try to make all the executables I develop as "standalone" as possible. Dynamic Linking too often leads down the road of "DLL Hell".

--EK
Eternl Knight

Return to General discussions about makehuman