MakeHuman Mesh new license

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: MakeHuman Mesh new license

Postby Abc » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 pm

[makehuman] free sofware program (gpl). The models generated are under MIT license.

This is the link that I used to find makehuman.

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
Software is furnished to do so, subject to the followi"

Copied from MIT license.
Abc

Postby Eternl Knight » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:08 am

I agree one hundred percent. So long as the mesh AND targets are released as a "plugin" or data under a different license - all is well. The reason I got involved was Manuel discussing the GPL & Creative Commons "Share Alike" licenses being applied to the mesh (which would just kill the project for commercial use).

--EK
Eternl Knight

Postby Abc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 pm

How exactly does the foundation benefit by putting a license on the meshes. I would be concerned that, even if it doesent affect their purposes, "What? models under GPL?" No way!". Under these terms, if you were working under a would be confidential enviorment, and you give your buddy down in the animation dept. your latest MH character model, its perfectly legal for him to run off and sell it on Turbo-Squid, even if it was only a base mesh.
Abc

Postby SuperCGpro » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 am

Abc wrote:How exactly does the foundation benefit by putting a license on the meshes. I would be concerned that, even if it doesent affect their purposes, "What? models under GPL?" No way!". Under these terms, if you were working under a would be confidential enviorment, and you give your buddy down in the animation dept. your latest MH character model, its perfectly legal for him to run off and sell it on Turbo-Squid, even if it was only a base mesh.

This is exactly why the program output ( mesh, textures, etc) cannot be GPL. No studio would use it (for fear of their film, etc becoming GPL as a derivative work). Imagine Jar Jar binks from Star wars ( & the film itself) becoming GPL! Lucas would have a kitten. :) Of course some people would think this is funny (I have to admit..it does sound funny), but given the economic realities people face today (rent, food, water, electricity, taxes, etc) it wouldn't be that funny for the girl or guy who makes their living as an artist.
There are those with lofty ideas that everything should be free ( wich indeed was the way the world started ), but those same people may not be taking into account the entire "synergistic puzzle" as it stands now. When electricity and taxes are GPL, then we can better explore the possibilities of everything being free. :)
Right now, the open source movement gives the "little guy or gal" the advantage. Making everything GPL (including content output ) would have the opposite effect (for new software at least). Everyone who is using (or planning to use MH for commercial purposes ) would (by necessity ) continue using versions 0.8 through 0.9 rc1 (which are GPL /MIT), and you would most likely see alternate projects pop up based on these versions. This would shift focus from the newer software to older versions.
I absolutly love the entire Idea of the Make Human project and have been following it for many years (since it was a Blender script). I hope to see the project continue to flourish, but making the output of the software GPL is not the way to do that.
SuperCGpro

Postby Manuel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:05 am

OK. Maybe a solution can be totally free the output mesh, while the software database, like targets, poses, expressions etc... can be released under GPL.
It sound good?
Manuel

Postby DAD » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:20 am

Manuel wrote:OK. Maybe a solution can be totally free the output mesh, while the software database, like targets, poses, expressions etc... can be released under GPL.
It sound good?

As with any software the tools that are used to produce an output result are and should be protected under whatever license the program uses. This would include items such as the database, targets, poses, expressions et al ... but as you say, the output needs to be 'free'. Otherwise it would be like saying that a book written using MSWord is owned by Microsoft because the author used MSWord to write it. (Let's not give Microsoft any ideas here OK?) This would also cover any additions that anyone else added to the program in the way of poses, morphs, and the like so that they could protect their work while making it a part of MH under the GPL. But the final, altered mesh when it is used outside of MH needs to be the property of the person who created it so they can freely share it as content for other programs, or use it to produce animations without restrictions. So what you are saying sounds good. Items intrinsically tied to the program or part of the program are protected under the GLP. Output mesh is owned by the person who generated it. Of course there is always the possibility, however unlikely, that two people could create the exact same mesh with the program. But the likely hood of that is pretty astronomical.
I don't fear god anymore. Anything he/she does to me now is only adding insult to injury ... alright already enough with the insults!

http://www.dad-tv.com
DAD

Previous

Return to General discussions about makehuman