Facial expression

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Facial expression

Postby BbB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Manuel,
First of all, a big thank-you for Makehuman. I'm a ZBrush user and I'm now using almost exclusively Makehuman to create and pose base meshes for my characters. The meshes are so nice and clean that very often I find myself only adding fine texture and bump details in ZBrush with no need to work on the topology.
My question is whether you could give me a sense of when you intend to restore the facial expression dials, which is the one thing I'm very much missing at present. Another nice feature would be support for hair, though I see it as far less pressing. Finally, I'm working to create better all-purpose head and body textures in Zbrush to replace the rather low-res textures that ship with Makehuman. Any plan for better (and perhaps gender-specific) maps for the future?
Cheers,
BbB
BbB

Re: Facial expression

Postby pistacja » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:00 pm

BbB wrote: Finally, I'm working to create better all-purpose head and body textures in Zbrush to replace the rather low-res textures that ship with Makehuman.

I'd love a new hi-res texture (perhaps with a bump/normal map?), but I'm just no good at it and I don't have any good photos to use, would you mind sharing it if you finish it? Pretty please? :mrgreen:
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby Manuel » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:35 am

BbB wrote:Hi Manuel,
First of all, a big thank-you for Makehuman. I'm a ZBrush user and I'm now using almost exclusively Makehuman to create and pose base meshes for my characters. The meshes are so nice and clean that very often I find myself only adding fine texture and bump details in ZBrush with no need to work on the topology.
My question is whether you could give me a sense of when you intend to restore the facial expression dials, which is the one thing I'm very much missing at present. Another nice feature would be support for hair, though I see it as far less pressing. Finally, I'm working to create better all-purpose head and body textures in Zbrush to replace the rather low-res textures that ship with Makehuman. Any plan for better (and perhaps gender-specific) maps for the future?
Cheers,
BbB

Expression tool (experimental) is almost ready.
Unfortunately actually we have few active artist/modelers, and this slow the release date.
Anyway a new version, with expressions, will be out soon, even if it can't be called 0.9.1 "final", because targets/maps are not ready.
Attachments
express.jpg
Manuel

Postby Randy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi.. Great application and look forward to further development. I have downloaded the SVN repository in hopes of getting my mitts on the Facal Expressions module. Can you please tell me, now that i have the repository downloaded how I go about making the Facial expression module usable within MakeHuman?
Randy

Postby Manuel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 am

Randy wrote:Hi.. Great application and look forward to further development. I have downloaded the SVN repository in hopes of getting my mitts on the Facal Expressions module. Can you please tell me, now that i have the repository downloaded how I go about making the Facial expression module usable within MakeHuman?

Just recompile it....but warning..it's very experimental...I'm not satisfied of results...
Manuel

Postby Randy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Not being a program compiler type you have pointed your finger at the moon and I remain perplexed. heh.. OTOH I have alot of 3D and arts skills. I could possibly help out with some of the facial expression stuff. It occurs to me that a phoneme set based on standard animation based phoneme shapes could be done fairly quickly if I had guidelines on how to do such, as in prep the .obj for your incorporation into MH, for this project. I am having alot of enjoyment playing with this system and am getting libraries of poses and body styles rapidly built. The facial expressions module will complete the basic experience so if my contribution can move this forward quicker i would e more than willing to supply some energies.

my email is randy (at) libertyeditions.com
for a look at my skillset in arts and the human figure goto
http://randyblain.orgfree.com/
http://randyblain.orgfree.com/SCPv1.html
http://randyblain.orgfree.com/SCPInterface.html
Depending on the interface

Best Regards
Randy
Randy

Postby animation_luvr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 pm

First, kudos on this application, it's awesome!

Second, I am a "compiler type" and have built MH, mh-gui and animorph from source tarballs successfully on Fedora FC8.

Question is, I just dl'ed and compiled mh_phoenix from SVN and this is the result, which doesn't match the snapshot above.
Screenshot-MakeHuman Phoenix.png

is this right?

Thanks,

a_l
animation_luvr

Postby animation_luvr » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:47 am

Oops,

Please disregard previous post. I'm new to SVN and not sure how I wound up with the phoenix branch.
Anyway I got it built and --"surprise" --it works. How cool is this!!!

FaceExpr.jpg
FaceExpr.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 10555 times

Thanks again, this program rocks!

a_l
animation_luvr

Postby Manuel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:25 am

animation_luvr wrote:First, kudos on this application, it's awesome!

Second, I am a "compiler type" and have built MH, mh-gui and animorph from source tarballs successfully on Fedora FC8.

Question is, I just dl'ed and compiled mh_phoenix from SVN and this is the result, which doesn't match the snapshot above.
Screenshot-MakeHuman Phoenix.png

is this right?

Thanks,

a_l

Eh eh...this is the first screenshot in the history of new MH "Phoenix", the python version we are working on ;)
Manuel

Postby Randy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Cool on getting it built. I am on OS X. I have the full SVN repository.. What do I do to build MH Phoenix?

As well I am using Cinema 4D and the PoseMixer plugin. It is giving me alot of exaggerated characters and body types by mixing two different ones or if the same it amplifies the morphs. These could be saved for further library character additions that go beyond the tetrawdgets morphs. Let me know if these can be used.

Best
Randy
Randy

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman