How are the output textures created? Filling in the UVs

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

How are the output textures created? Filling in the UVs

Postby fatarigames » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi all. I've been trying to teach myself game development and recently I am focused on making character models properly.

The modelling and UV unwrapping part I am quite decent with. But I have absolutely no idea how to start making textures properly.

So I am using Makehuman as my example to learn from. The unwraps here match my own characters quite well. But surely I don't have to draw this myself. The textures with MakeHuman (and many other games, apps etc that use this same technique for their characters) all look too detailed and not stretched out etc to have been made by hand.
This image might show what I mean:

https://ibb.co/0X69X7H

So can anyone with more experience tell me how these texture files are created from nothing?

Thanks for any help.
fatarigames

Re: How are the output textures created? Filling in the UVs

Postby coz » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:24 am

Textures are not created from nothing. You may be thinking there's some generalized procedural method; there is not, just like some people do subdivision modelling, others sculpt and others manipulate each vertex.

Some people do draw these textures, but do so progressively in interations, but more often than not, they will use photos and retouch them.

Regarding MakeHuman, you may have luck reading the development history, since the original developers are not deeply involved anymore.
coz

Postby fatarigames » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:29 am

coz wrote:Textures are not created from nothing. You may be thinking there's some generalized procedural method; there is not, just like some people do subdivision modelling, others sculpt and others manipulate each vertex.

Some people do draw these textures, but do so progressively in interations, but more often than not, they will use photos and retouch them.

Regarding MakeHuman, you may have luck reading the development history, since the original developers are not deeply involved anymore.

Hey thanks for the reply! The iterations thing and using photos in iteration and touching them up makes a lot of sense to me now. In this case, what an advancement Substance Painter and similar apps are. I feel I can make a very basic texture by hand in Photoshop/Gimp and then move that into Substance Painter and manually paint it. Still a lot to learn, but I will give this a try.

(Please note, when I say "creating the texture from nothing", what I meant was from a blank texture file into the resulting texture as per the screenshot. If anyone else does know further info about methods used for this, please let me know. Many Thanks)
fatarigames

Postby Momchilo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:37 am

Check this out! https://texturing.xyz/pages/brav-fg-tex ... l-engine-4

Also this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DhvFML7oM

And you can use this keyword on YouTube for more info "texturing skin substance"
Momchilo

Return to General discussions about makehuman