Organizing Targets

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Organizing Targets

Postby Ricardo2020 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 am

I have been working with MakeHuman since April of 2020. In that time, I have accumulated a lot of targets inside my Custom folder. When these come up in the custom tab inside MakeHuman, the list is long and the targets can be hard to find.It can get overwhelming not to mention take a lot of time to find and adjust a given target.

And so, my question is this: using version 1.1 or later of the program, is it possible to put like targets into sub folders to make them easier to use? The reason I ask is that I see the 39 visemes and the custom folders are separated in the program as folders selectable on the custom tab.

Is it possible to say, put general modifiers in one folder and specific modifiers in their own sub folder? If so, what is the proper way to proceed?
Last edited by Ricardo2020 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Re: Organizing Targets

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:57 am

Greetings,
Yes this is quite easy actually! All you need to do is make folders in the custom folder(target folder) and place the targets in the folder by category. While in makehuman then, on the right hand side(on custom tab) there is a menu with a tick box to rescan folders, keep all target values intact, and view only specific folders. Once the tick box is checked for the folder you will only see the sliders in that folder on the left hand side. To view all again in the custom folder simply uncheck the selected folder. Please note, that if you have models set up using the pathway to the basic folder and not sub folder and then reload the model it may revert to a basic, not target version of itself so proceed with caution, moving existing targets.
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby punkduck » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Yes Elv is correct. Most people don't know, because it is missing in the documentation. Here is an example we did when we work with heels:

for the heels a folder "shoes" was created inside the custom folder and all targets (we added to the assets to correct the foot position) went into this folder:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:CreateHeels

There is one small thing to remember: if you already have existent models and you change the structure, you should change your .mhm files as well. These are ASCII files, you can use an editor. Check for the modifier statements with "custom" in it.

Reason: a target not found is skipped silently, your character will look different then.

Example:

if the custom modifiers were;

Code: Select all
modifier custom/nostril_flat_lip_sharp 0.228000
modifier custom/nostril_rounding 0.712000

and a sub-folder "nose" was added, it must be changed to:

Code: Select all
modifier custom/nose-nostril_flat_lip_sharp 0.228000
modifier custom/nose-nostril_rounding 0.712000
punkduck

Postby Ricardo2020 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:35 am

Sage advice, my friend. I followed it to the letter and...

Now all my targets are easy to find, and after revising my models to include the changed data, all is well with the world (and MH).

Many thanks to Elv and you go here...
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Return to General discussions about makehuman