Making Faces

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Making Faces

Postby Horatio_Unseen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm

I am not new to Blender, been in that for many years, I probably have messed with Makehuman for about a year or more. While I find Makehuman a great free opensource tool, made using Python, I am curious why I keep seeing faces made using Blender and not the product itself. Everywhere I look, the images are very detailed, and yet when I queue up the tutorial, I am thrown into Blender instead. Are there no examples of human faces without using another tool?

The community seems to push Blender more so than the Makehuman tool itself, to the point one could just use Blender instead. Makehuman is an excellent tool on its own. Where do you find the best tutorial on the tool, without making it sound like it is another Blender add-on? I wouldn't mind it, saying they exported it for rendering in Blender, but most of these detailed Makehuman tutorials actually start with exporting the model into Blender.
As for you, you impostor, I'll have your memory pulled so fast you'll never forget it! ~~~ Captain Ken Cragis
Horatio_Unseen

Re: Making Faces

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Greetings,
Not sure what community you mean? But the blender community will push blender :P. That being said this community extensively uses blender for a majority of post modeling(in makehuman) also. I did however do a quick video search on youtube only for kicks, and managed to get a lot of videos about modeling inside makehuman to come up with little to no effort. That being said, our wiki does need more videos for tutorial and introduction makehuman side, and we are always happy to have new offerings ;D Another realm of food for thought here is how much effort Joel and the team is putting into making the modeling be available both pre and post blender using makehuman software and addons, both with in blender makehuman modeling and via a socket load. Ty for your feedback and thoughts, and feel free to share any vids or tutorials you create also!!
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Horatio_Unseen » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:13 am

What I mean is the only single person I found on a YouTube search is VscorpianC and those videos are five years old. She does a great job, considering the few videos available for Makehuman literal tons for Blender. I know this is not a competition, but I would have thought over that time frame there would be others "pushing" out Makehuman solo projects or something that uses Makehuman 99%. I also fully understand this is community supported open source, things tend to drag when you depend on others to help out. I am a tad bit frustrated with the Blender Foundation attempting to clone other commercial products instead of being their own software. They underwent massive changes back when they upgraded from 2.49b to 2.5 and lost some good talent back then, I am sticking with 2.79 myself. I am not against software advancing, but just cloning others to be like them, is akin to the kid who smokes because other do it. I guess that is one positive point about the slow changes made to Makehuman. I am glad to see I can jump back in where I left off.

I am going to follow some of VscorpianC's tutorials and see if I can produce anything to help the community. There should be more than what little I am finding.
As for you, you impostor, I'll have your memory pulled so fast you'll never forget it! ~~~ Captain Ken Cragis
Horatio_Unseen

Postby Horatio_Unseen » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 pm

I am going to post this here as it is part of my original topic. This is probably best answered by Joel Palmius or someone who developed the file structure.

I am running Makehuman on Linux, I am curious why the skins are placed in the "/usr/share/makehuman-community/data/skins" where I need root access to edit them or create my own. I plan to make a Linux symbolic link in place and move these files to a folder off my home directory. Is there an option I am missing to create my own skins? Also is there anything that you would foresee as problematic with making this edit? This isn't a bad thing, I just think others might want to have the ability to add more skins. Placing them in the local home directory will give me easy access.
Horatio_Unseen

Postby loki1950 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:59 am

Any extra skins are actually placed in your home directory full address /home/username/Documents/makehuman/v1py3/data/skins not the folder in the systemland makehuman scans both folders for assets the behaviour is the same on Windows 10 and OSX.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Horatio_Unseen » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 am

Been working at this off and on, with various face models. I place the image in the foreground and set 60% opacity.
The model view I set to wireframe as this makes viewing the vertex placement better.

As for scaling the face parts, I don't recommend symmetry for everything. Very few people have perfect symmetrical faces.

Maybe I will have more before the end of the year. This is time consuming work.
Horatio_Unseen

Return to General discussions about makehuman