How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

Postby virtualpaul » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:08 am

Hello,

I am wondering what people use to import MH collada files into a C/C++ game/rendering project?

I tried using Assimp the other day. But importing a collada file saved from makehuman gave me an exception in Assimp so I guess there is an incompatibility somehow. The weight vertex ID seemed to be swapped with the bone ID.

I tried loading the same collada file saved from makehuman in blender which looked ok. So I re-exported it in collada to try importing it again using Assimp. This time I did not get an exception but when I loop in the list of joints/bones, it seems to have only 25 instead of the 31 from the collada file.
virtualpaul
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

Postby woodcat » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:12 pm

virtualpaul wrote:I am wondering what people use to import MH collada files into a C/C++ game/rendering project?

Can "Better" Collada help you?
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.
User avatar
woodcat
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm
Location: Moscow

Re: How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

Postby virtualpaul » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:45 pm

woodcat wrote:
virtualpaul wrote:I am wondering what people use to import MH collada files into a C/C++ game/rendering project?

Can "Better" Collada help you?


Thanks for the suggestions. I may try it if I cannot find another solution.

Although in general I try to stay away from addons as much as I can. In the past, I spent some money on an addon that is not compatible with the more recent blender... Even when they are free, it seems that they all become extinct at one point. ;)
virtualpaul
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

Postby woodcat » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:41 pm

virtualpaul wrote:Even when they are free, it seems that they all become extinct at one point.

This addon will probably be extinct soon. Formats die out over time and new ones come along, like more convenient ones. This is normal. Maybe it makes sense to consider another, new format — glTF?
Blender glTF 2.0
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.
User avatar
woodcat
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm
Location: Moscow

Re: How to import MH collada files into C/C++ project

Postby virtualpaul » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:50 pm

woodcat wrote:
virtualpaul wrote:Even when they are free, it seems that they all become extinct at one point.

This addon will probably be extinct soon. Formats die out over time and new ones come along, like more convenient ones. This is normal. Maybe it makes sense to consider another, new format — glTF?
Blender glTF 2.0


Thanks for your suggestion.

The only reasons I chose collada was because it is the default Blender export format, it is open and it is also plain text which makes it easier to find problems with.

When exporting to glTF using Blender, the default exported file seemed to be binary so I discarded it too fast when I had seen it. But when reading the documentation, it looks like there is an option to save it as a text file too.

I will have a better look...
virtualpaul
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm


Return to General discussions about makehuman

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest