Step by step procedure to add a custom rig to Makehuman

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Step by step procedure to add a custom rig to Makehuman

Postby vbhat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:27 am

Can anyone tell me the step by step procedure to add a custom rig to Makehuman? I have an animation which I am supposed to transfer to many makehuman models but the animation's rig is different from all the options makehuman is currently offering. I figured that if I am able to add the animation's rig into makehuman software, I will be easily able to transfer the animation to many models in Blender.. Can anyone help me regarding this?

Thanks
vbhat

Re: Step by step procedure to add a custom rig to Makehuman

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi

it really depends on your rig. Nearly all additional rigs only have different bone names and no own weighting in MakeHuman. These are typically matching lists (you should do a quick look into a skeleton file of e.g. game engine, these are ASCII files). The only weighting is done by summarizing bones (like lowerarm01 + 02 results in lowerarm) ...

For a real weighting you have to create an own .mhw file. If you allready created an own weighting with a MakeHuman character in Blender (and no vertex number was changed in between) then you can create the weight file with some steps. I have an exporter for the weights in a plugin mostly built for symmetrizing changed characters, it is inside my own tools (blender 2.79 and 2.8x, 2.9x version available):

https://github.com/black-punkduck/MakeHuman-Helpers

Furthermore you should read this:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16927

I transfered some weights of the original skeleton to my own. Weighting can be very hard tbh. I partly work with own skeletons and different weightings meanwhile.
punkduck

Return to General discussions about makehuman