How To use MakeSkin with MakeClothes2

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

How To use MakeSkin with MakeClothes2

Postby hammerMN » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Hello,

I am super new. But love learning and figuring out new things.

So far I am loving MakeHuman and the new Blender addons MakeClothes2 and MakeSkin.

I have successfully been able to make new clothes with MC2 and add a new material to an existing asset, such as the crude assets with MS. Just like in the YouTube video.

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use MakeSkin to add a material to clothes I make with MakeClothes2. If I unwrap to a new image, save the image in the folder of the asset, assign it in the shading tab, and then start painting, Blender crashes. If I reopen and go through re-importing, I can get farther and it even displays correctly in Blender but not correctly or not at all in MH.

I feel like I am just missing one little step. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

HammerMN
hammerMN

Re: How To use MakeSkin with MakeClothes2

Postby hammerMN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am

I figured it out.
1.) Use MakeClothes2 to make clothes and save them without "Use MakeSkin" checked
2.) Use MakeSkin to make new material with a Diffuse texture
3.) In Blender Shading tab, create new Image for the Diffuse Texture
4.) In Blender UV Editing tab, Unwrap and save the Image in the new asset folder from step 1
5.) In MakeSkin save the material
6.) In MakeClothes2 now save the clothes again checking "Overwrite existent files" and "Use MakeSkin"

However, you still cannot use the Blender Texture Paint tab to paint the clothes without crashing Blender.
So to accomplish this, you need to restart Blender and re-import your model with your new clothes and then re-import the material. Then it lets you Texture Paint in Blender without issue.

Maybe this will help someone. I don't know.

HammerMN
hammerMN

Postby punkduck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:28 pm

One of things MakeSkin does is copying the textures to the destination directories in the end. Can you save the texture to a different "source" location first?

"Link/Load" it in the material editor like always and try it.

There could be this reason: When source and destination path are identical the copy command may complain.

If that was not the reason: does blender crash completely (that is: blender is simply closed) or do you get the typical python trace?

When you get the python trace we can check it. A screen shot (blender also does a logfile) will help.

Greetings
punkduck
punkduck

Postby hammerMN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. So I tried my steps again, only this time I saved my initial image to my desktop. You are right, it does copy it into the asset folder when I save the material. Unfortunately, Blender still crashes the second I start texture painting. It is a complete crash and Blender closes.

I also tried re-importing the material after I saved the material and the clothes. More like I have to do after Blender crashes just to see and it still crashes.

I suppose I should tell you what versions of softwares I am using. Right now I am using Blender 2.90.2 and MakeHuman 10/22/2020 Nightly. I should note that it did do the same thing with Blender 2.83.8 and MakeHuman 1.2.0-beta2.

If you do end up fixing it that would be great. But I can certainly limp along by re-opening Blender and re-importing and texture painting that way.

Thanks,

HammerMN
hammerMN

Postby SevenK34 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm

I have the same issue.
- Import Human from MH
- Mark as Human
- Extract from helpers (tights)
- Switch to Texture Paint
- When I try to paint into the viewport window (right window), it crashes.

But, strangely, if I paint in the image editor (left window) it works with no problem.
SevenK34

Return to General discussions about makehuman