Blender 2.83 and MHFB

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Blender 2.83 and MHFB

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Looks like I'll be staying with Blender 2.81 for a while. MHFB still explodes with numpy array errors with 2.83 as it does with 2.82.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: Blender 2.83 and MHFB

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Unfortunately I don't think we will get these problems ever fixed, simply because I cannot reproduce them (though I didn't test software which is in a very early alpha state). Just lamenting something does not work is not really helpful. Maybe you could be a little bit more verbose on a) what you are doing and b) what is not working...
Aranuvir

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Actually it is the same issue I reported here with 2.82:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18246

and essentially I was told by Joe P that the packaged version (from apt-get) should be avoided. I'm thinking I still need to avoid the packaged version and while I don't plan on downloading Alpha version and running that. I was hoping whatever the issue with Blender 2.8[23] would be fixed by Blender and I apologize for not making that more clear.

FWIW here are some details:
"native" Python: Python 3.9.0a2
Numpy and friends all installed.

Not sure what other details you would need.
SaltyCowdawg

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Well, I forgot about that other topic. Reading those error messages again, something is really strange. Blender is shipping it's own python/numpy packages, but your Blender version tries to load side-packages from the system. Where is your Blender build coming from?
Furthermore you are talking about Python 3.9.0a2 (a probably for alpha). I cannot find any Python 3.9 on Python's official download page. So it's probably anything but native, especially on an Ubuntu version with Long Term Support. Recent Python version on my Ubuntu 19.10 is Python 3.7.5.
I've checked Blender's official 2.82 build from 2020-01-25 (build_hash is fc1f5bded46a). There are NO numpy errors! If you are in desperate need of bleeding edge Blender builds, get them from there: https://builder.blender.org/download/.
Aranuvir

Postby loki1950 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:50 am

I have given up on using any prepackaged version on blender on Linux as the distro repo versions are all out of date and most of the time broken by the packager to comply with some imaginary standard that the distro presorts to comply with.That said I get the the .tar.bz2 and extract it to a blender folder under /opt each version in it's own sub-folder so I usually keep several versions on hand you do have to create your own desktop launchers and menu entries though which is a doodle for me after using Linux for about ten years now :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

That said I get the the .tar.bz2 and extract it to a blender folder under /opt each version in it's own sub-folder so I usually keep several versions on hand you do have to create your own desktop launchers and menu entries though which is a doodle for me after using Linux for about ten years now

Basically that is what I've started doing. I have a ${HOME}/apps directory that I put applications (not just blender) that I've either downloaded compiled versions or I've built from source. Why not /opt? That way my backups pick them up so when (not if) I do a restore from backups I can pick up where I left off.

Besides messing with Blender and MH I do a lot of system level experiments and occasionally something bad will happen and I have to rebuild. About once or twice a year...
SaltyCowdawg

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Just after I posted my last reply I went to the Blender.org site and downloaded the latest 2.82 (nightly/experimental build). I installed the MHFB plugin and it WORKED. Something changed in Blender 2.82...

Going to start one by one grabbing other plugins I've had issues with and seeing what happens with them. Also going to try 2.83 alpha and see if shrapnel happens.

PS. 2.83 alpha works with MHFB as well.
SaltyCowdawg

Return to General discussions about makehuman