Modeler learning how to contribute

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Modeler learning how to contribute

Postby vont » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi! I'm a character artist and I'm fascinated with MakeHuman. The fact that this is a free and open-source tool that everyone can use to speed up their creative process is incredible. Fuse and Reallusion CC were expensive tools that not only restrict freedom, their restrict the creativity of their users. As a character artist, I do tons of base meshes and I love seeing what people can do with them. I love being able to help kickstart that creative juices on people. :D

Therefore, I've decided to contribute to the MakeHuman project with a few of my base meshes. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to integrate my model with the program. Can anyone point me to the right direction here? Do I have to set a couple of morph targets and that's it? Is there a list or an easy way to find out which and how I should rig the morph targets? Thanks in advance.
vont

Re: Modeler learning how to contribute

Postby loki1950 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi vont to give you a point of entry we call morphs targets they are created with a blender add on maketarget in blender they are shape keys have look at our wiki the Docs & FAQ link above after the read we are open for specific questions BTW we use one base mesh only and a lot of the operations depend on the vertex order/number all that matrix math :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby vont » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 pm

What do you mean by one base mesh only? I can't add a custom mesh for the tool to use?
vont

Postby loki1950 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

All meshes must be be based on our base mesh for the internal calculations to work other meshes are designated as proxy meshes which are basically clothes that replace the base mesh they have to be created with makeclothes an other blender add on but you need to change the the file's extension manually from clothes to proxy mesh ( .mhclo to .mhpxy ) so your current base meshes would have to be run through makeclothes targets work on the base mesh even the first iteration shown has several targets applied to it as the base mesh is neutral in it's sexuality characters are the base mesh with a series of targets applied if you open the saved character file with a text editor you can see how we use it internally most of our files are text files the format of each file is specified on the wiki the mesh it's self is in the files in .obj format ordered vertex list then there is a list of targets with the value of the modification between 0 and 1 BTW the vertex order is also critical part of the definition of the .obj format all part of being able to use the differing formats in various 3d apps in other words they are standards we have to comply with just to be able the work with existing practice in 3d modelling most of this is under the hood and most users never need to see or understand it ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby bogdan666 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 pm

We could definitively need some new base mesh proxies/topologies, which have a more efficient distribution of quads and a better weighted rig (esp. around the shoulders,armpits,clavicle).

My workaround has been so far to subdivide my meshes in blender and then applying some shape keys to the critical parts, but that's not the best solution, considering that it is to be used for real time rendering in Unreal Engine, where the obscene amount of around 140k triangles for just one naked character is not the way to go if you need multiple animated characters on the screen with multi-layered clothing on plus a huge open world.

I'm looking forward to see your contributions.
bogdan666

Return to General discussions about makehuman