install from source

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

install from source

Postby williamb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Is it possible to install from source makehuman community alpha 3 on Win10. The instructions are somewhat daunting. I can't make binary installation file work no matter what. Its somewhat frustrating since the program was running great until I had a windows crash.
williamb

Re: install from source

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Running MH source isn't that difficult, in fact, there is no real binary or the application. Those exe files, start up entries or whatever provided for Windows are simple wrappers that execute the Python interpreter telling it to execute the MakeHuman script. You need to get a recent Python version (https://www.python.org/downloads/) and install some dependencies by using the pip tool: numpy, PyQT5 and pyopengl (please ask an internet search engine, how to use that tool correctly, it's mostly "pip install numpy" and so on...). If you need an advanced shell inside MH you can install jupyter and qtconsole via pip, too.
Aranuvir

Postby williamb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Running MH source isn't that difficult, in fact, there is no real binary or the application. Those exe files, start up entries or whatever provided for Windows are simple wrappers that execute the Python interpreter telling it to execute the MakeHuman script. You need to get a recent Python version (https://www.python.org/downloads/) and install some dependencies by using the pip tool: numpy, PyQT5 and pyopengl (please ask an internet search engine, how to use that tool correctly, it's mostly "pip install numpy" and so on...). If you need an advanced shell inside MH you can install jupyter and qtconsole via pip, too.

After installing python then using pip what next. Which file do I use to install Makehuman? I have some doubt that installing from source will even work since I get an error message using the stable version of Makehuman. I have a fast Windows computer with an Nvidia card with the latest drivers. I shut off my antivirus program and windows defender with no luck. Both programs ran great until Windows crashed. After getting Windows going again installing either programs fails.

Any help greatly appreciated. This and Blender are the main programs I use.
williamb

Postby RobBaer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:11 am

williamb wrote:Is it possible to install from source makehuman community alpha 3 on Win10. The instructions are somewhat daunting. I can't make binary installation file work no matter what. Its somewhat frustrating since the program was running great until I had a windows crash.

To the question, yes. The most difficult part is installing python on Windows. In my case I have settled on using Anaconda python rather than trying to assemble all the parts myself. There is a little overhead initially, but ultimately managing dependencies is easier.

williamb wrote:Which file do I use to install Makehuman? I have some doubt that installing from source will even work since I get an error message using the stable version of Makehuman. I have a fast Windows computer with an Nvidia card with the latest drivers. I shut off my antivirus program and windows defender with no luck. Both programs ran great until Windows crashed. After getting Windows going again installing either programs fails.

Python is not a true compiled language so MH is not "installed" when running source. From the main MH source directory (within Windows cmd console) type at the command line: python makehuman.py

That said, it seems hard to believe that the "installer version of MH" won't work with the right solution. Can you tell us more about the exact error you get when you try to use the installable ("binary") version? Did you install "just for you " or for "all users" on the machine?

The current installer only adds an entry in the start menu. Are you starting from there?
RobBaer

Postby williamb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 pm

RobBaer wrote:
williamb wrote:Is it possible to install from source makehuman community alpha 3 on Win10. The instructions are somewhat daunting. I can't make binary installation file work no matter what. Its somewhat frustrating since the program was running great until I had a windows crash.

To the question, yes. The most difficult part is installing python on Windows. In my case I have settled on using Anaconda python rather than trying to assemble all the parts myself. There is a little overhead initially, but ultimately managing dependencies is easier.

williamb wrote:Which file do I use to install Makehuman? I have some doubt that installing from source will even work since I get an error message using the stable version of Makehuman. I have a fast Windows computer with an Nvidia card with the latest drivers. I shut off my antivirus program and windows defender with no luck. Both programs ran great until Windows crashed. After getting Windows going again installing either programs fails.

Python is not a true compiled language so MH is not "installed" when running source. From the main MH source directory (within Windows cmd console) type at the command line: python makehuman.py

That said, it seems hard to believe that the "installer version of MH" won't work with the right solution. Can you tell us more about the exact error you get when you try to use the installable ("binary") version? Did you install "just for you " or for "all users" on the machine?

The current installer only adds an entry in the start menu. Are you starting from there?

After installing Alpha 3 makehuman community is on the start menu. Clicking this produces nothing. I have tried installing just for you and for all users with no results. When I look at the program itself there is no exe file just the makehuman icon. When installing Makehuman 1.1.1 I get failed to execute script error. Its possible I'm doing something completely dumb but don't know what it is.
williamb

Postby RobBaer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:36 pm

The issues for MH1.1.1 and MH1.2.0 alpha3 install may be way different, so lets concentrate on MH 1.2.0 alpha 3 because if we can get that you are way ahead.

I'll assume you are on Windows 10, but this will mostly make little difference. If you have not done so already, it might be worth using add remove programs to remove existing installs of makehuman-community. It also might be worth doing a fresh download to make sure your download is not corrupted. It is generally useful to make sure you've done a recent restart after any Windows updates.

Let me make sure you have the lay of the land. You download a file, and it ends in your download directory; you extract all so you have an extracted version of the .zip; you double click and run the installer (makehuman-community_1.2.0a3.exe) and for arguments sake let's say you choose "install for all". A start entry appears in the start menu. Makehuman-community is now installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\makehuman-community. There is no .exe file, nor should there be. The way to start the program is to double click the Makehuman-community entry in the start menu.

If there is no evidence of the program starting from the MH splash screen opening, you could check if anything at all is happening. Go to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman and see if there is a v1py3 folder. If so, rename it v1py3_old and try starting again. Check again. If a new v1py3 exists, the program is getting to at least this point. Share the makehuman.log file in this folder.
RobBaer

Postby williamb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 pm

RobBaer wrote:The issues for MH1.1.1 and MH1.2.0 alpha3 install may be way different, so lets concentrate on MH 1.2.0 alpha 3 because if we can get that you are way ahead.

I'll assume you are on Windows 10, but this will mostly make little difference. If you have not done so already, it might be worth using add remove programs to remove existing installs of makehuman-community. It also might be worth doing a fresh download to make sure your download is not corrupted. It is generally useful to make sure you've done a recent restart after any Windows updates.

Let me make sure you have the lay of the land. You download a file, and it ends in your download directory; you extract all so you have an extracted version of the .zip; you double click and run the installer (makehuman-community_1.2.0a3.exe) and for arguments sake let's say you choose "install for all". A start entry appears in the start menu. Makehuman-community is now installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\makehuman-community. There is no .exe file, nor should there be. The way to start the program is to double click the Makehuman-community entry in the start menu.

If there is no evidence of the program starting from the MH splash screen opening, you could check if anything at all is happening. Go to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman and see if there is a v1py3 folder. If so, rename it v1py3_old and try starting again. Check again. If a new v1py3 exists, the program is getting to at least this point. Share the makehuman.log file in this folder.

Success I told you I might be dumb. After Turning off Norton and thinking Windows defender was off I found Windows control was blocking install. Thank you so much for your great help.
williamb

Return to General discussions about makehuman