Making MakeHuman 'more human'

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Making MakeHuman 'more human'

Postby art3mis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I've only used the ManuelBastioni Blender addon so that is my point of reference. I find the MB addon to give MUCH more realistic looking humans than MakeHuman
Well, Manuel is the chief artist for MakeHuman as well, but MB Lab is his latest endeavor, so I'm sure he would be grateful to hear that opinion as the lab is all about pushing the development envelope. That said, I'm not sure in exactly what sense you mean "lack realism". Artists on this forum have made very realistic art with MakeHuman. You don't make gourmet food without adding some secret ingredients. MakeHuman is just the high quality starting ingredients.

Perhaps I am not using all the MakeHuman presets properly. In addition to lacking realism my characters lack definition in regards to musculature and don't appear athletic at all. Is there a source somewhere of customized MakeHuman characters in .mhm format?

Well, unlike MB lab there is not special muscle skeleton, but to make sure you are not missing the obvious ...

Go to the modeling tab and main subtab. Pull the gender slider all the way to the right (male). Pull the muscle slider all the way to the right. Pull the weight slider all the way to the right. Finally, pull the proportions slider all the way to the right. You should see some sort of muscular definition. Now pull the gender slider to the left and you will see an equally well defined female. In this case you may also wish to go to the gender subtab and increase the breast size if you think it appropriate.

To make the Human more realistic, got to the Materials tab and select, for example, young Caucasian Male skin from the right panel. Then go to the geometries tab and use the subtabs to add hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, toungue, teeth etc. You should have something pretty realistic to start modifying. I'll leave it to you to scale back on this definition as you wish. You can save this work as a .mhm file for further work, but most people will move their work to a downstream using the generic .fbx or .dae. If that downstream application is Blender, then most forum users will use the third part .mhx2 exporter to move their work into Blender (see second link below).

As for clothes and other assets there is a rich assortment of Community contributions available at: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... ssets.html If you find yourself using many of these it may be worth installing the asset downloader plugin for MakeHuman which is available through this page: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/content/plugins.html
art3mis

Return to General discussions about makehuman