Makehuman Liscene

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman Liscene

Postby usfshihy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I don't really know anything about how licenses work so I thought I'd ask, can I use a model generated through makehuman in my commercial game? If so, do I need to have a specific message or something written in the credits? And what is the license of the textures that makehuman provides, can they also be edited considerably then used or no?

Thank you.
usfshihy

Re: Makehuman Liscene

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Models exported from an unmodified official build are CC0 licensed (MakeHuman with the MHX-plugin is considered unmodified). Same goes for the official assets that come along with MakeHuman. Actually, that means you do not even have to name the MakeHuman project (though, our anger would be very limited, if you should name it ;) ).
If you're using assets from the user contribution, you must respect their individual licenses. Unfortunately there is a bigger problem: The predefined license in MakeClothes is AGPL and often not changed by the user. As a result the license in the uploaded file and the license selected by the user on the webpage do not match.
Aranuvir

Postby usfshihy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:19 pm

okay then so how about I don't use any cloth assets and just use the main body?
usfshihy

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

usfshihy wrote:okay then so how about I don't use any cloth assets and just use the main body?

:?: :?: :?:

Aranuvir wrote:Models exported from an unmodified official build are CC0 licensed (MakeHuman with the MHX-plugin is considered unmodified). Same goes for the official assets that come along with MakeHuman. Actually, that means you do not even have to name the MakeHuman project (though, our anger would be very limited, if you should name it ;) ).

Everything is CC0, as long as you export from inside MakeHuman (and you do not use third party stuff).
Our FAQ
Creative Commons license CC0
Something more to read
Aranuvir

Postby usfshihy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Aranuvir wrote:
usfshihy wrote:okay then so how about I don't use any cloth assets and just use the main body?

:?: :?: :?:

Aranuvir wrote:Models exported from an unmodified official build are CC0 licensed (MakeHuman with the MHX-plugin is considered unmodified). Same goes for the official assets that come along with MakeHuman. Actually, that means you do not even have to name the MakeHuman project (though, our anger would be very limited, if you should name it ;) ).

Everything is CC0, as long as you export from inside MakeHuman (and you do not use third party stuff).
Our FAQ
Creative Commons license CC0
Something more to read

okay so excuse my stupidity is editing the model in blender by adding some hair and clothes considered using third party software?
usfshihy

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:42 pm

The "unmodified" limitation is for MakeHuman's code, not for exported model's data. The exported model is CC0, i.e. you can do with it, whatever you want, even modify it inside Blender, Z-Brush, 3ds Max ...
Though, if you want to give a little reward we would be happy if you name our project, or upload an asset for the community, or write a tutorial, or fix a bug (we desperately need some coders)...

The idea behind this "unmodified code" restriction is to prevent someone to write a plugin that lets export all MakeHuman's internal data as CC0 and then rebuild the software as closed source. A plugin modifies the code! (But plugins from the official makehumancommunity repository on github and the MHX2 plugin are not considered as code modification).
Aranuvir

Postby usfshihy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Aranuvir wrote:The "unmodified" limitation is for MakeHuman's code, not for exported model's data. The exported model is CC0, i.e. you can do with it, whatever you want, even modify it inside Blender, Z-Brush, 3ds Max ...
Though, if you want to give a little reward we would be happy if you name our project, or upload an asset for the community, or write a tutorial, or fix a bug (we desperately need some coders)...

The idea behind this "unmodified code" restriction is to prevent someone to write a plugin that lets export all MakeHuman's internal data as CC0 and then rebuild the software as closed source. A plugin modifies the code! (But plugins from the official makehumancommunity repository on github and the MHX2 plugin are not considered as code modification).

Okay I get it now, I think I know everything I need, thanks so much for you help, and thanks for everyone who made this amazing software and make it open source it really helps an indie like me with an extremely limited budget. And of course you don't have to worry about me not mentioning the software I'm using, I will already be mentioning Blender - another amazing tool and I'll be more than happy to mention Makehuman, thanks again :D
usfshihy

Return to General discussions about makehuman