Flatten To Single Mesh On FBX Export?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Flatten To Single Mesh On FBX Export?

Postby Atom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Is there a way to "flatten" my character on export?
When I export to FBX format (I do need bones) and import that into Houdini I get a series of meshes instead of a single mesh. I am discovering that I may need a single mesh and a single texture map to use my character in the Houdini based crowd system.

Can Make Human take all my skin, clothes, eyes, eyebrows and make a single mesh but still provide deforming FK bones on FBX export?
Atom

Re: Flatten To Single Mesh On FBX Export?

Postby RobBaer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 am

Atom wrote:Is there a way to "flatten" my character on export?
When I export to FBX format (I do need bones) and import that into Houdini I get a series of meshes instead of a single mesh. I am discovering that I may need a single mesh and a single texture map to use my character in the Houdini based crowd system.

Can Make Human take all my skin, clothes, eyes, eyebrows and make a single mesh but still provide deforming FK bones on FBX export?

The short answer is "no". The eyes are always separate geometry. The eyebrows, hair, teeth, tongue, and eyelashes need not be included, but if they are, they will always be separate geometry. I am not familiar with Houdini, but it is perfectly possible to join the meshes AFTER import into Blender. I'd be surprised if Houdini didn't have similar support. If not, you could run it through Blender on the way to Houdini.

All this has little or nothing to do with whether or not you include a skeleton, so I'm a little unsure why you specifically mention your need of bones.
RobBaer

Return to General discussions about makehuman