Biped Skeleton

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Biped Skeleton

Postby vinniemc » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Will makehuman ever get a real biped skeleton that can be used in game engines like Cryengine?
A biped skeleton that has the Biped object in it so it can be moved in and out of "Figure" mode.
The current skeleton lists do not really have a true biped without that biped object in it.
Or am I missing something?
Clarification would be appreciated!
BTW...Love this app,,
vinniemc

Re: Biped Skeleton

Postby Atom » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Have you installed the additional rigs under user contributions?
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/rigs.html

The motion builder full rig is pretty robust. As far as game engines go there is also a Unity compatible rig.
Atom

Postby vinniemc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:32 am

Atom wrote:Have you installed the additional rigs under user contributions?
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/rigs.html

The motion builder full rig is pretty robust. As far as game engines go there is also a Unity compatible rig.

Well I tried them all now and not one is, imo a true biped, even the game one is not.None of these can import a .Bip animation which is a biped animations file! As the two screens show, the first is missing what the second is showing. If makehuman could do a real biped rig it sure would get a lot of people happy. Unreal and Unity accept the makehuman skeletons, but Cryengine, being a more advance game engine does not. Wierd that calling a skeleton a biped rig that cannot load biped animation files(.bip) seems odd to me!
Attachments
Non-Biped.jpg
True-Biped.jpg
vinniemc

Postby RobBaer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 am

vinniemc wrote: Unreal and Unity accept the makehuman skeletons, but Cryengine, being a more advance game engine does not. Wierd that calling a skeleton a biped rig that cannot load biped animation files(.bip) seems odd to me!

Have you taken a look at biped retargeting?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... 3-htm.html

and maybe
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... D-htm.html

and
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... E-htm.html
RobBaer

Postby vinniemc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 am

Yes, I have looked at retargetting, but thought I would ask the experts if it was possible to get a real biped skeleton for makehuman.
Sure would be easier than retargetting 100's of animations.
vinniemc

Postby RobBaer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:02 pm

At the end of the day you will have to do some work at least once. There are only a few Max users I see here with any regularity. Perhaps something in this older thread discussing the 3DSMax pipeline and 3DSMax biped from MakeHuman will have something to help jump start you.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9680&hilit=biped&start=10#p22528

And possibly this later post in the same thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9680&hilit=biped#p37821
with this zipped .mhskel file: download/file.php?id=4221

It seems that this remained a work in progress though ...

If you get it working please share back
RobBaer

Postby vinniemc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 am

A character creator for Cryengine has written a maxscript to retarget both the skeleton and animations for this type rig. He is testing it now and will soon release it on Scriptspot!
I will post a link when it goes live.

Cheers
VinnieMc
vinniemc

Postby vinniemc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 am

Here you are... http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip ... -utilities

From.. Cry-Danny at Cryengine!!
vinniemc

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:36 pm

i think you are expecting a turnkey solution for something that is simply not. even if that script works it's only getting you part of what you are asking for if i understand correctly. biped is convenient but its not difficult to skin a character to a biped. i would suggest you learn to do at least that much to accomplish your goals. if i were you id first learn some of the skinning processes in 3dsmax. you are probably working with a predefined animation set and to avoid scaling issues and hours of chasing errors i would design my pipline as the following:
1. find a biped character that you can export to your game engine and animate without error. max has an awesome feature called skin wrap which takes the bone weights of one character to create weights for a similar sized character.
2. following those proportions create a character in makehuman. (you could export the actual biped to obj and import it to makehuman as reference for bone length but if you dont want to learn that process take screenshots of front orthographic views and overlay them in photoshop then adjust your makehuman skeleton untill you are as close as you can get)
3. export your character from makehuman dont need makehuman bones you are going to import just the mesh and skin it to your existing biped skeleton
4. import your MH character to your working biped file, scale the MH model not the working game character.
5. from your modifiers select skin wrap, click add from that modifier properties and choose your working character
6. click convert to skin in the skin wrap properties
7. test animate and fix weights.

this is your best option for learning minimal parts of this process. it is not the right way to do it. there right thing to do is learn the process of character creation and practice it. that said i prototype characters this way all the time. i can have a MH character in game in 1 hour from character creation to animated stand in, no bullshit.
CallHarvey3d

Return to General discussions about makehuman