Resolved: Making Particle Hair in Blender for Makehuman

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Resolved: Making Particle Hair in Blender for Makehuman

Postby Robitron » Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Okay, so I'm trying to build my character library for blender.

So the way I see it, I need to build enough clothes for each character so that they can wear different clothes for any one scene, then load them all on the character and export this massive file to blender so that all clothes are already rigged and I can just load the clothes that I want for a particular scene.

This shouldn't be the case though since I've already got the clothes in my makehuman folders but...since there's a limited library for hair, I can do this then model the particle hair one time for each character and then just append the character with only the clothes that I want for that scene.

I've not found any tutorials at all on how to make hair for a makehuman character so I'm hoping I'm wrong in saying that it is not possible to import particle hair into makehuman. If I could, then that would make exporting smaller files doable.

I've read in here that doing hair is the same as makeclothes so I'm guessing that means with a mesh which isn't much of an option for me since I'm very poor at texturing and don't know the first thing about texturing a hair mesh.

I prefer the particle system for hair because it's there and it's a lot easier in my opinion to sculpt/design the hair that way. So is it possible to import particle hair into makehuman from blender or do I need to load every outfit that I think I could possibly need onto a character for any scene (created and to possibly be created in the future) before exporting it to blender?

If it is possible, can someone walk me through how to do this?

Here is the hair I want to add for this character:

Kinky Hair0001.png

Kinky Hair0002.png

Kinky Hair0003.png

Unrelated note: Every time I try to do a search in the makehuman forums, it always says that the following words have been removed from the search do to their frequency (or something like that that): Every word that I put in the search criteria
I've yet to be able to do a successful search in the forums. :?
Last edited by Robitron on Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robitron

Re: Making Particle Hair in Blender for Makehuman

Postby loki1950 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Makehuman the app does not support particles period so no way you can do it at all you need to do all the work in blender though you can use a hair system for another character by using blender's "append" functionality but pay attention to the parenting after the append otherwise the character moves but hair don't move with it :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Re: Making Particle Hair in Blender for Makehuman

Postby Robitron » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm

loki1950 wrote:Makehuman the app does not support particles period so no way you can do it at all you need to do all the work in blender though you can use a hair system for another character by using blender's "append" functionality but pay attention to the parenting after the append otherwise the character moves but hair don't move with it :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking I would need to do...

Thanks for the confirmation.
Robitron

Re: Resolved: Making Particle Hair in Blender for Makehuman

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Robitron wrote:Unrelated note: Every time I try to do a search in the makehuman forums, it always says that the following words have been removed from the search do to their frequency (or something like that that): Every word that I put in the search criteria
I've yet to be able to do a successful search in the forums.

Rather than typing "hair" into the search box, try typing "particle hair" -- 331 hits and counting :D
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi

When you are doing particle hair on duplicated faces after you import a character the first time, you can use a library concept. You also need the clothes for each character (because they will not resize to a smaller or bigger character). And you need to save your character "nude". When combining with clothes sometimes this will lead to problems when posing, because faces poke through the clothes.

Anyway, I'm using a library concept, because I do not want to beautify my characters and clothes again and again and we also have a small tutorial for hair in MakeHuman.

So here is, how my libraries are arranged (today I've more libraries per character, subdivided in casual clothes, cosplay clothes ... to keep the files smaller)
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13729

And for the hair-do here are some setups and a discussion about some topics like subdivision, blonde hair color etc.
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13734

All pictures in the "daily life of models" thread are created using the library concept. Sometimes, for tools/weapons the original mesh (.obj file) is placed in the library and is assigned to fixes weights. In this case a shield or sword will not deform, this is a weakness after the export from MakeHuman.

I hope this will help a bit.
punkduck

Postby Robitron » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm

punkduck wrote:Hi

When you are doing particle hair on duplicated faces after you import a character the first time, you can use a library concept. You also need the clothes for each character (because they will not resize to a smaller or bigger character). And you need to save your character "nude". When combining with clothes sometimes this will lead to problems when posing, because faces poke through the clothes.

Anyway, I'm using a library concept, because I do not want to beautify my characters and clothes again and again and we also have a small tutorial for hair in MakeHuman.

So here is, how my libraries are arranged (today I've more libraries per character, subdivided in casual clothes, cosplay clothes ... to keep the files smaller)
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13729

And for the hair-do here are some setups and a discussion about some topics like subdivision, blonde hair color etc.
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13734

All pictures in the "daily life of models" thread are created using the library concept. Sometimes, for tools/weapons the original mesh (.obj file) is placed in the library and is assigned to fixes weights. In this case a shield or sword will not deform, this is a weakness after the export from MakeHuman.

I hope this will help a bit.

Thanks for the advice, I'm having a difficult time grasping it though. Would you be able to make a video tutorial so I can visualize what you mean?
Robitron

Return to General discussions about makehuman