Facebook 3D posts

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Facebook 3D posts

Postby jorgeo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:13 am

A few days ago Facebook added support for posting 3D models.

Has anyone tried exporting makehuman's models and pasting into a Facebook post? There seem to be some converters between FBX and blender to glTF format.
jorgeo

Re: Facebook 3D posts

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 am

I gave it a good try and got this error *Something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can. You may be able to try again.* Gave it a few tries same response. Having exported it as fbx to blender to glb, will try a few more methods on my end.

Edited: it seems the importer for fb only accepts GLB file is less than 3MB so this would explain why my 42 mb lady would not import lol!
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 am

Found a tool to help validate and error check your GLB files. Though I cannot figure out why the file keeps being bloated in the conversion process.

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/3d/validation
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

jorgeo wrote:A few days ago Facebook added support for posting 3D models.

Has anyone tried exporting makehuman's models and pasting into a Facebook post? There seem to be some converters between FBX and blender to glTF format.

Have you read Facebook's fine print? Once you put that model on Facebook, it becomes the property of Facebook. :o

Consider carefully what you post. ;)
brkurt

Postby jcpalmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

From the link needed to perform a 3D model load, I find no reference to ownership of any kind. Mind sharing your source for this?
jcpalmer

Postby loki1950 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm

It's part of their general terms of use agreement everything posted to the service becomes their property period not just 3D models ie: photo's videos text messages.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby jcpalmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks, that got me to look in the right place. As of thelatest Terms doc , looks like there is no basis for this though. The content sharing section says:

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

1- For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
2 - When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
3 - When you use an application, the application may ask for your permission to access your content and information as well as content and information that others have shared with you. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, including how you can control what information other people may share with applications, read our Data Policy and Platform Page.)
4 - When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
5 - We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use your feedback or suggestions without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

Sounds like you are more or less making it public though. It gets deleted you remove it, but anyone who could see it could have copied it. That looks to be more of an issue with images, not 3D models, since I doubt it can easily be done. While it seems Facebook also gets it, it is also bound by privacy in a different section.
jcpalmer

Postby jcpalmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Worked perfectly for me. I did not do a MH mesh set, and my procedural textures did not export / bake out, but the Blender exporter made a .glb, and I dragged it to a Facebook Page & dropped. Was a little big compared to when I exported it out as in-line Javascript that also included an armature(1091 KB vs 597 KB).

There is no zoom with the wheel mouse. That is already dedicated to scrolling your list of stuff.
facebook.jpg
jcpalmer

Return to General discussions about makehuman