Custom Rigs

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Custom Rigs

Postby porky11 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 am

I tried to create a custom rig and it almost works.
I used [a program](https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehuman-utils) to generate the files and inserted the correct vertex numbers for the heads and tails and did some other things.
The new bones are displayed at the correct position in makehuman and when exporting they also are at the correct position.
When exporting a pose using this new mesh, it won't be applied to the custom rig for the new bones, but that may be the case because the poses in makehuman are only applied to the default rig.
The problem is, that the vertex groups of the new bones don't appear in the mesh or are empty after exporting.
If you don't know, what to do, I'll upload it anyway, since it's still better than having to create the bones for penis rigging for every object, and may be useful for some users of makehuman.
porky11

Re: Custom Rigs

Postby RobBaer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

porky11 wrote:I tried to create a custom rig and it almost works.
I used [a program](https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehuman-utils) to generate the files and inserted the correct vertex numbers for the heads and tails and did some other things.
The new bones are displayed at the correct position in makehuman and when exporting they also are at the correct position.
The problem is, that the vertex groups of the new bones don't appear in the mesh or are empty after exporting.

I can't picture the exact steps that you are referring to in this last sentence. What format are you exporting in? .fbx?, .dae? .mhx2? Are you talking about after importing into Blender?
RobBaer

Postby brkurt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 am

RobBaer wrote:
porky11 wrote:I tried to create a custom rig and it almost works.

I can't picture the exact steps that you are referring to in this last sentence. What format are you exporting in? .fbx?, .dae? .mhx2? Are you talking about after importing into Blender?

I've created several custom rigs for the 1.1.1 mesh, based on default rig. I did that because I thought the default face bones were too complicated to manipulate directly. I assumed that there would be a new interface like Thomas' mhx2. But it never happened. :(

The default rig needed: (1) more spine bone, for greater flexibilty; (2) armPit and Scapula bones because of the large area of the mesh that needed finer controls; (3) face bones that emulated facial muscles, so that a designer could intuitively create the visemes and emotional expressions necessary. I did the last because Thomas' himself said that the mhx2 shape key approach was overly complicated. :geek:

Yes, new custom rigs are needed, but what problems are they designed to solve? ;)
brkurt

Postby porky11 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 pm

RobBaer wrote:I can't picture the exact steps that you are referring to in this last sentence. What format are you exporting in? .fbx?, .dae? .mhx2? Are you talking about after importing into Blender?

It doesn't work correctly for any format.
After importing the mesh with the new skeleton, the new bones are there, but no matching vertex groups exist.
porky11

Postby porky11 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 pm

Here I uploaded the penis rig, that does not work, so you can test it.
porky11

Postby jujube » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

From what I remembered, there was a blender plugin for making MH skeletons, but it was 1. in an obscure location 2. had no documentation and 3. there was still something that it didn't export/create automatically, causing new rigs to not works. I was curious so I looked through 18 pages of my archived posts to find the old discussion on it.
armature thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14183
aranuvir's weight painting instructions: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14183&start=10#p38662
something that you need to manually fix in the file in order for new rigs to work: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13256&p=33801#p33801
old post where I (attempted to...) summarize my findings: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14221&start=10#p38776
And the blender rigging addon is io_mhrigging_mhskel, in here: https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehum ... downloads/

(It looks like the problem was: every bone has a head and a tail, and each end is supposed to have a list of vertices, but the exporter is unfinished and only exports the head. Also there is something called "rig planes" that don't get exported either that you also have to add in notepad. By copying from an existing skeleton. No idea how to make those things for new bones.)

Basically makehuman doesn't really have a process for adding new rigs yet.

edit: found this thread via search, on creating custom armatures: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13090&hilit=rotation_plane
Last edited by jujube on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Ok, now on to the actual files...
esting the penis rig by exporting mhx2 to blender, it looks like blender hasn't created vertex groups for the new bones.

In the joints in default.mhskel: breast.L____tail and breast.R____tail each contain a single vertex, located on the body. But the rest of the joints (breast heads, clavicle.L____head, clavicle.L____tail) are located on the green joint boxes. So the genitals should probably also begin on a joint box.
But I think the problem is probably that a "rotation_plane" is not defined for the new bones. (in default_penis.mhskel, the planes start at line 4101.)

So now I'm trying to figure out the logic of the rotation planes.

edit: Note to self: They're officially called "helper joints", not "joint boxes"
jujube

Postby jujube » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 am

Another mystery...
Attachments
contradiction.png
jujube

Postby jujube » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm

jujube wrote:Another mystery...

edit: I forgot to add that I also created a proxy for testing http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxy ... _test.html
(the rig still didn't work, but it shows that a helper bone could in theory work)
jujube

Return to General discussions about makehuman