Resolution STL export

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Resolution STL export

Postby martin2018 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am

I created a model in Makehuman and want to produce a full-scale 3D print of the head. Now I'm trying to export the model using the stl format. The result has a quite low resolution with big triangles. Is there a way to increase the resolution so that the surface deviation is lower? Is there any other way to export a point cloud of the model with higer resolution?
martin2018

Re: Resolution STL export

Postby RobBaer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 am

I have not played much with the .stl exporter, but in theory clicking the smooth button (7th from the left) will produce a smoother mesh on export. You can see the effect by clicking the mesh button (8th from the left).

The alternative would be to be to export the model and import into blender or another mesh editing program and try to apply a subdivision modifier.

Good luck.
RobBaer

Postby martin2018 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 am

It works, that's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks a lot!

Is there a way to change the unit for export files to mm? This unit is mostly used in engineering tools in Europe.
martin2018

Postby RobBaer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 am

martin2018 wrote:Is there a way to change the unit for export files to mm? This unit is mostly used in engineering tools in Europe.

Afraid not. Meters, decimeters, and cm are the only metric units supported. Inches is the only imperial unit supported. Hopefully you saw these choices on the right of the export page. You could, for example, export as decimeters, import into Blender, scale by 100 and apply scale, then effectively export a mm .stl file if this were critical for your use.
RobBaer

Return to General discussions about makehuman