Makehuman export doesn't look the same in Blender

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman export doesn't look the same in Blender

Postby EWS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm trying to export a model that I made in Makehuman and import it to blender.

The model looks way different in Blender for some reason:

This picture is from an Mhx2 file export. I also tried dae and fbx, but they have the same problem.
Am I doing something wrong here? I'm using the default settings btw. "Feet on ground" and decimeter.
EWS

Re: Makehuman export doesn't look the same in Blender

Postby loki1950 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 pm

It will depend on which rendering pipeline is used MH's internal render is straight OpenGL while blender has two default render engines blender render and cycles so nothing is wrong just not the same as within MH there also several other render engines that can be used with blender and they are also working on a real-time pbr render engine set for release with blender 2.8.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby EWS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 pm

loki1950 wrote:It will depend on which rendering pipeline is used MH's internal render is straight OpenGL while blender has two default render engines blender render and cycles so nothing is wrong just not the same as within MH there also several other render engines that can be used with blender and they are also working on a real-time pbr render engine set for release with blender 2.8.

Thank you for the reply. I know a bit more about the rendering now :)
What I meant was that the shape of the face is different in Blender, the chin is longer and the face is more narrow. Is this something that I can change by using different render settings?
EWS

Postby loki1950 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Now that you mention it I can see what you mean but it may be a lighting and shadow effect as the internal MH view port lighting is very flat with a minimum of shadows so play with the lighting setup in blender lighting a model can be tricky. Try adding a fill light that points directly at the face there will literally thousands of ways to do it so just play around with placement and intensity while you set blender's view port to render.The other thing that may be happening is a different camera lens focal length as that is an other source of distortion welcome to the learning cliff we will endeavour to place some pitons so you can climb it(ask questions freely we were all newbies).

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm

It looks like you use perspective view in Blender. Switch off perspective view in Blender (NumPad 5) and check whether the shape is still different.
wolgade

Postby EWS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:35 pm

wolgade wrote:It looks like you use perspective view in Blender. Switch off perspective view in Blender (NumPad 5) and check whether the shape is still different.

You were indeed right. I changed the perspective to orthographic and now it looks the same :) Thanks for the help.

loki1950 wrote:Now that you mention it I can see what you mean but it may be a lighting and shadow effect as the internal MH view port lighting is very flat with a minimum of shadows so play with the lighting setup in blender lighting a model can be tricky. Try adding a fill light that points directly at the face there will literally thousands of ways to do it so just play around with placement and intensity while you set blender's view port to render.The other thing that may be happening is a different camera lens focal length as that is an other source of distortion welcome to the learning cliff we will endeavour to place some pitons so you can climb it(ask questions freely we were all newbies).

I also needed to change the camera object settings to orthographic to have it work with renders. The lights are a nice touch indeed :) I really like makehuman so far. I have been out of 3dmodeling since I first learned a bit about it in school, but this website got me interested in it again. Hopefully I don't ask too much questions haha.
EWS

Return to General discussions about makehuman