can't download body extensions

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

can't download body extensions

Postby charitydupont » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 am

I'm having a difficult time downloading body extensions to my MacBook. I'm not sure how to import it into makehuman. Someone please help me.
charitydupont

Re: can't download body extensions

Postby loki1950 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:42 am

Are you using Apple's default web browser if so switch to Firefox or Chrome as it just downloads the page's html and not the extensions as it dose not have a "Save as" function be aware that M$'s Edge doesn't either for installing them http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... tall_it%3F

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:54 pm

On a Mac, you put the downloaded assets into the application package itself.

Go to your Applications folder and find the MakeHuman app, then right click and choose "Show Package Contents," which will reveal a folder called "Contents." Navigate down that tree to "Resources" and then "Data."

Under the "Data" folder there are various sub-folders for assets: clothes, hair, eyes, teeth, etc. This is where you paste the copied downloaded assets, according to what kind of items they are.

Of course, the easiest way to add new MakeHuman assets is to use the Community plug-ins, which can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/makehumancommunity/community-plugins

FWIW, I have an iMac but I run MakeHuman on a Windows machine that I access with a remote desktop connection because MakeHuman seems to run a little better in Windows, even though my Windows machine has less memory and a slower processor than my iMac. I do not know why this is and it may just be anecdotal as I have never done any actual benchmark comparisons.
MargaretToigo

Postby joepal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks @MargaretToigo

Yes, it's a problem that none of the current devs have access to a mac, nor ever use them. MH will actually run best on Linux, but it's still far more tested on windows than it is on mac.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby charitydupont » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Thank you I’ll give it a try

loki1950 wrote:Are you using Apple's default web browser if so switch to Firefox or Chrome as it just downloads the page's html and not the extensions as it dose not have a "Save as" function be aware that M$'s Edge doesn't either for installing them http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... tall_it%3F

charitydupont

Postby punkduck » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a MAC mini and it is not so different, because internally it is a UNIX/Linux-like system.

Please be aware that installing a plugin must be done in the directory (system-folder):

Code: Select all
/Applications/MakeHuman.app/Contents/Resources/plugins

which normally is not owned by the user itself. If you are able to work with the terminal, first figure out your login with

whoami

you will get your login name, e.g. 'dupont' then enter
cd /Applications
sudo chown -r dupont:staff MakeHuman.app

You will have to enter your password and this will change the permissions to the user dupont (groupname 'staff') so that you are able to copy plugins in this directory. Maybe that the Apple file browser did not show these Applications directories (I hate that actually, because IMHO Apple degrades the user to an idiot). So download the plugin into your download directory and copy it to the destination using the terminal if nothing else works.

Margaret is right about that you are able to put all assets directly in the system folder. But this is not a good idea, because when you update MakeHuman I'm not sure if you will not loose your data.
So if your login is 'dupont', the right destination would be (users folder):

/Users/dupont/Documents/MakeHuman/v1/data/clothes

I'm German and so "Documents" is presented as "Dokumente" in the Apple file browser. So your native language also might add some confusion to the topic!

But, don't panic, it really works ... I've created a big bunch of assets ;)

MakeHuman simply looks in the system AND users folder. The only thing I discovered is, that poses you want to export in mhx2 mode MUST be in the systems folder, it will not export poses from the user folder.

Of course I must admit, that without the normal knowledge of Linux I sometimes would be lost on my MAC ...
punkduck

Postby charitydupont » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am

you all have been so helpful! thank you
charitydupont

Postby charitydupont » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 am

It DID WORK this way, the only new problem i'm having is that the color is not transferring for hair or anything else.

charitydupont wrote:Thank you I’ll give it a try

loki1950 wrote:Are you using Apple's default web browser if so switch to Firefox or Chrome as it just downloads the page's html and not the extensions as it dose not have a "Save as" function be aware that M$'s Edge doesn't either for installing them http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... tall_it%3F

charitydupont

Postby loki1950 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:18 am

Make sure you get all of the files including the pictures as it's those that actually give the blank mesh colours also why we call them texture files with Chrome just right-click on the image and "Save link as" they go all together in the same folder one for each asset.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby punkduck » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

charitydupont wrote:It DID WORK this way, the only new problem i'm having is that the color is not transferring for hair or anything else.

I don't know if this helps, but if you e.g. load the off shoulder top into a directory created under clothes named off_shoulder_top and you use the terminal then it should look like this:

systemname:~ username$ cd Documents/MakeHuman/v1/data/clothes/off_shoulder_top
systemname:off_shoulder_top username$ ls
offshoulder_top.mhclo      offshoulder_top.obj
offshoulder_top.mhmat      offshoulder_top.png
offshoulder_top.mhpxy      offshoulder_top.thumb
offshoulder_top.npz      offshoulder_top_normals.png
systemname:off_shoulder_top username$

The .mhpxy, .npz files must not be there, they are created by MH in the moment the clothes are loaded. This is also a reason why you should not put the assets to a system folder (/Applications/...). Of course systemname would be the name of your system and the username would be your name.

Internally it works like this: in the .mhclo file the names of the .mhmat and .obj file are mentioned. In the .mhmat file the name of the textures (in this case two .png files) are mentioned.
If all files are in the directory it should work correctly. I'm using Firefox instead of Safari. But normally I can also use "save picture as" in my Safari browser for the .png files.

It is no problem to have different Browsers on the system.
punkduck

Return to General discussions about makehuman