Version numbers for dependencies?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Version numbers for dependencies?

Postby joepal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 pm

If you're trying to run the qt5 branch, you'll also need to install https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/soft ... /download5. It's possible there's no pip version of pyqt5 as riverbank mostly use it as a marketing gimmick to get people to buy their commercial license. Pyside is for qt4 only.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm

It appears that you can't install the qt4 version under Windows without building the dependencies from source.

So I uninstalled python 3.4 and installed python 3.6 and downloaded the py3qt5 version of makehuman and pip installed pyopengl and numpy and pyqt5.

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "makehuman.py", line 802, in main
    init_logging()
  File "makehuman.py", line 411, in init_logging
    import log
  File "./lib\log.py", line 44, in <module>
    import logging.config
  File "C:\Users\Lindsay\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\logging\config.py", line 30, in <module>
    import logging.handlers
  File "C:\Users\Lindsay\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\logging\handlers.py", line 28, in <module>
    import queue
  File "./lib\queue.py", line 45, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtCore
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt4'

So, do I need to install PyQt4 in order to use the PyQt5 version of MakeHuman?
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:20 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:It appears that you can't install the qt4 version under Windows without building the dependencies from source.

The only quirk is that you need vcredist before being able to install pyside (which satisfies the dependency on qt4). It is no longer possible to get PyQT4, which is why we've started to use pyside.

But apart from that, I don't really understand what the problem is?

blindsaypatten wrote:So, do I need to install PyQt4 in order to use the PyQt5 version of MakeHuman?

If you use rob's "py3qt5" branch, you should use PyQt5, but as far as I gather this is very experimental. If you use the "master" branch, you need PyQt4 or PySide, not PyQt5.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

I've been going around in circles for so long that I can't say for sure but I believe that while there are pyside wheels for Linux that are compatable with Python 3.4 there are no such wheels for Windows. The pyside wheels for Windows are only compatible with Python 3.5 and up.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:I've been going around in circles for so long that I can't say for sure but I believe that while there are pyside wheels for Linux that are compatable with Python 3.4 there are no such wheels for Windows. The pyside wheels for Windows are only compatible with Python 3.5 and up.

This is most definitely not the case. Pyside (note: not Pyside2) is only compatible with python 3.4 and downwards.

And I tested the whole procedure right when I posted it a few replies up. Worked for me.

The important quirks are:

* You need a 32-bit python 3.4. 64-bit won't work.
* You need a 32-bit vcredist exactly version 10.0

With these two satisfied, pyside pip installs smoothly on my windows 7 clean virtual machine which had no other software installed.

pip.png

Here's the issue where they basically state they'll never support python 3.5 or newer. https://github.com/pyside/PySide/issues/132
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm

You are right, it's Qt5 that requires Python 3.5 or higher. Clearly I've tried too many things and gotten confused.

Where do I get the source version of MakeHuman for Python 3 with pyside rather than pyqt5? That's what the nightly build is built from right?
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

This is where all current MH development happens: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/makehuman

"master" is the branch that is used for nightly build.

"py3qt5" is rob's experimental qt5 port (it only deviates three or so commits from "master" so far)

There are also a few other brances:

"Aranuvir" with Aranuvir's fixes that haven't yet been merged to "master"

"bitbucket-stable" is the old python 2.7 code as it was at the time of the release of 1.1.1.

"bitbucket-default" is what was originally planned to be MH 1.2.0. It is also python 2.7.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:17 pm

In the end my problem was using the wrong source. I tried default and stable, but they are 2.7 so they won't work with Python 3, so I tried py3qt5, but that didn't work either. Instead of finding the right source I kept trying different versions of python and the dependencies. Anyway, I have it running using the master branch. Thank you for your help.

While I deserve most of the blame I have to say that the multiple incompatible versions of python and the packages is a bit of a nightmare. I never ran into anything like this in Java so I'm not used to it. My system has eighteen versions of the MS C++ redistributable from 2005 to 2015, with x86 and x64 versions. And only one of them was manually added by me.

Thanks again.
blindsaypatten

Postby loki1950 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:30 pm

And only one of them was manually added by me.

They where most likely added by apps you installed as that has been standard MS policy since W95.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Do I recall that someone has already ported the MHX2 export code to the python3 port? If so, can you tell me how to get it and install it? I took a quick look at porting it and got slogged down enough to see if someone has already done it. Thanks.
blindsaypatten

PreviousNext

Return to General discussions about makehuman