Disproportionate body parts

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Disproportionate body parts

Postby matthowarth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi all

Is it possible in MH to create very disproportionate body parts? I'm thinking making the head five times bigger than normal, or massive hands, or crazily long legs etc?

Is this possible?

Cheers

Matt
matthowarth

Re: Disproportionate body parts

Postby brkurt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 pm

matthowarth wrote:Hi all

Is it possible in MH to create very disproportionate body parts? I'm thinking making the head five times bigger than normal, or massive hands, or crazily long legs etc?

Is this possible?

Cheers

Matt

You will need to export the model to a 3d suite, so that you can do a resizing. Most of the MH community uses Blender.
MH was designed to remain within the constraints of normal human biology. I've had to resize to create a Neanderthal head, because their eyes were 1.5 times the size of ours.
brkurt

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm

You could try copying the targets that increase the size of a body part and applying them multiple times. It is probably easier to do in Blender though. In MakeTarget you can load a target and then change the max limit from 1 to 5.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm

As blindsaypatten says: Figure out the name of the target and copy it to [HOME]/makehuman/v1/data/custom, with another name than the original file. Then you can find it under the "custom" tab and apply it a second time.

All targets files are here in case you have a normal installation: https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehum ... at=default

You can find the location of your home data folder this way: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _directory)%3F
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby matthowarth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi and thanks for responding.

I too am using blender, but i want to take the characters from MH rigged. Obviously then if i scale a body part the associated bone is no longer right place.

I tried scaling the bones in pose mode, which works really well, but when i import a mocap file, it rescales the bones back to 1. I'm looking at the bvh format to see if i can override this, but haven't got anywhere yet.

I will have a play with targets though, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again

Matt
matthowarth

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

You should definitely learn about targets. You can use MakeTarget to make a custom target that you can use in MakeHuman to create disproportionate body parts, and when you export with a skeleton the skeleton will be scaled to fit properly.

In MakeTarget you can load one or more existing targets, like the built in limb size targets etc., apply them to any factor, and then save the result as a new custom target. For example, you could load the upper leg length target and the lower leg length target, apply them as shape keys with a factor of three, and then export a new custom target that allows you to scale the length of both simultaneously, and by triple the amount the built in targets do. When you apply the custom target and export it the skeleton will automatically be correctly generated.

An advantage of using the built in targets this way is that it will handle fitting clothing as well as the skeleton without you having to deal with the clothing helpers, which is a whole other topic.

The above may not be entirely coherent, especially if you aren't familiar with MakeTarget, but take my word for it that MakeTarget is a tool designed to do what you have described you want to do, so look up the documentation on it and have a go at it.
blindsaypatten

Postby matthowarth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks very much for that answer, it makes perfect sense. I am out of the studio until Tuesday, but i will try it as soon as i get back

Thanks again

Matt
matthowarth

Postby matthowarth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

As predicted, that works brilliantly. Thank you all for your suggestions.

cheers

Matt
matthowarth

Return to General discussions about makehuman