Salvaging a target based on the base mesh

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Salvaging a target based on the base mesh

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 am

I did (another) stupid thing today. I spent the majority of the day nudging vertices in Blender to make a target to produce a certain shape of eye. The result is not bad, but I created it from the base mesh and when I tried it on the Caucasian male model the result is thoroughly mangled. I thought it would be relatively easy to make a target that returned the Caucasian male eyes back into base mesh eyes but the changes are surprisingly extensive. The base mesh eyes point straight along the y axis but the Caucasian male eyes look downward and are somewhat cross-eyed, are further forward, are scaled unequally, and the surrounding area is all changed.

So, the point is, does anyone know any tricks that might be used to take the shape of the eye I created and "plug it into" the male Caucasian? I feel like if I could just cut out the eyes, stick mine in, and smooth out the transition it should work, but I don't think MakeTarget would approve.

Here's what it looks like using the revert-to-base-mesh target and my target:
EyeGrid.jpg

Here's the result of applying it to the Caucasian male mesh:
Mangled.jpg

Help? :(

Edit: for the purpose of visualization here are the three configurations, from top to bottom, my modified mesh, the male Caucasian mesh, and the unmodified base mesh. All the modifications are inside the highlighted loop.
EyeComparison.jpg

As you can see the loop has significantly changed it's shape, it's not just translations, rotations, and scaling. Still, it seems like there ought to be a way to transfer the geometry of the opening between the lids, relative to the eyeball.
Last edited by blindsaypatten on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blindsaypatten

Re: Salvaging a target based on the base mesh

Postby grinsegold » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 am

Looks like the mummie of echnaton. Creepy. Have you translated the joint cube vertices inside the head as well? Inside each eye there is a cube that most likely is good for telling MH where to put the eye-bone. If you move the eye vertices without taking also the bone location in consideration, you may expect crossed eyes. Oh, and don't cut your eyes out, even if it sounds like a good idea at first glance. You'll have hard times getting them back to work ;) ("blink")
grinsegold

Re: Salvaging a target based on the base mesh

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:49 pm

In the end I resisted the urge to tear my eyes out in frustration, both metaphorically and physically. What I ended up doing was determining the translation that would place the eyeballs of the base mesh in the same location as the Caucasian male's, then translating the area surrounding the eye from the base mesh with my target applied by that amount. Then I did some translation and rotation to position it better, and then smoothed out/merged the surrounding area.

mab-eyes-yam.jpg

Unfortunely it's not enough to get the geometry right, I guess I need to touch up the skin too since the dark area along the edge of the top eyelid on the right that makes it look messed up is part of the diffuse texture.
mab-eyes-plaster.png

Two off-topic things I noticed while doing this work, the corners of the Caucasian male mouth are pulled down more that I had ever noticed, and the line of the nose is a bit wierd, where the line of the nose goes into the bridge is really low creating an unusually tall and deep bridge. Compare to: https://www.google.ca/search?q=men%27s+ ... uLg2JqVvAM:
The Greek slider under nose features partially corrects this but you still can't get a normal-looking profile.
blindsaypatten

Return to General discussions about makehuman