Avatar stimuli used in psychological research

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Avatar stimuli used in psychological research

Postby alerou » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 am

Hello and happy new year.
My name is Alexandros Rouchitsas and I am a PhD student at the Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.
I am interested in creating avatar stimuli for use in psychological experimentation.
Has this ever done before? Do you know of any scientific publication to come out that has utilized your environment?

Thank you.
Alexandros
alerou

Re: Avatar stimuli used in psychological research

Postby joepal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 pm

I've been working for some time with the psychology department at mid sweden university, and currently we're discussing using MH for emotion/expression stimuli rather than photographed actors. It has never gotten as far as a publication, but we've discussing a Vinnova application to productify the ideas.

Other psychology-related use cases I've heard of is education in body language for psychology students (I don't think this was published either).

Note that there is a bunch of articles published concerning research based on MH, just not a whole lot within psychology. See https://scholar.google.se/scholar?hl=sv ... n+software for full list. Closest I found for psychology is http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... _11#page-1
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 pm

alerou wrote:Hello and happy new year.
My name is Alexandros Rouchitsas and I am a PhD student at the Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.
I am interested in creating avatar stimuli for use in psychological experimentation.
Has this ever done before? Do you know of any scientific publication to come out that has utilized your environment?

Thank you.
Alexandros

Are you going to be using the Ekman Facial Action Coding System?

There are several types of pose/shape key interactions designed so far, but they haven't been standardized.

I have a legal cd of the FACS material; and I've begun some of the preliminaries here:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10750&p=27604&hilit=mystery+of+O#p24310
brkurt

Postby alerou » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello again after some time.
I would actually be interested in using FACS validated avatar stimuli.
However, what I am mostly concerned about is whether MH is the right way to go, since I am interested in creating animations of facial expressions (mild smiles, puffed cheeks) with accompanying gaze directions (direct or averted). Complex facial behaviour that I haven't seen in any study employing MH. They mostly go for stills. Is there a way to upload to a video clip of what I have in mind so that you give me your take on this?
AR

brkurt wrote:
alerou wrote:Hello and happy new year.

Thank you.
Alexandros

Are you going to be using the Ekman Facial Action Coding System?

There are several types of pose/shape key interactions designed so far, but they haven't been standardized.

I have a legal cd of the FACS material; and I've begun some of the preliminaries here:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10750&p=27604&hilit=mystery+of+O#p24310
alerou

Postby joepal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm

You should be able to attach mp4 videos to posts.

Anyway, there's a french researcher working on a FACS plugin for MH. Although I'm not sure how public he is with this project, I think his results look interesting so far.

I'll PM you his email address, in case you want to ask him for further details.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby brkurt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am

alerou wrote:Hello again after some time.
However, what I am mostly concerned about is whether MH is the right way to go, since I am interested in creating animations of facial expressions (mild smiles, puffed cheeks) with accompanying gaze directions (direct or averted). Complex facial behaviour that I haven't seen in any study employing MH. They mostly go for stills. Is there a way to upload to a video clip of what I have in mind so that you give me your take on this?
AR

I discussed this with Manuel Bastioni, and he told me that the big problem with MH and FACS is that there is no standard translation table between MH polygons and Ekman's system. That would be the first order of business. A good start would be to choose one mesh topology, and work from Version 1.1.1 of MH.
brkurt

Postby alerou » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you.

brkurt wrote:
alerou wrote:Hello again after some time.
AR

I discussed this with Manuel Bastioni, and he told me that the big problem with MH and FACS is that there is no standard translation table between MH polygons and Ekman's system. That would be the first order of business. A good start would be to choose one mesh topology, and work from Version 1.1.1 of MH.
alerou

Postby alerou » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you.

joepal wrote:You should be able to attach mp4 videos to posts.

Anyway, there's a french researcher working on a FACS plugin for MH. Although I'm not sure how public he is with this project, I think his results look interesting so far.

I'll PM you his email address, in case you want to ask him for further details.
alerou

Postby NumesSanguis » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 am

I'm interested in creating real-time FACS animation in Unity (modifying it programmatically / procedural while the game is running), and a FACS pluging for MH would help me greatly as well.
Would it be possible to post here an update how that project is going, or to give me a PM with his email?
NumesSanguis

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm

I've sent the mail address in a PM to you now.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman