Does anyone have a Debian Nightly from 2014? 2015?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Does anyone have a Debian Nightly from 2014? 2015?

Postby joepal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Kind of odd problem though. I'm unaware of anything significant changing in the OpenGL code since the period you mention. But admittedly, I didn't pay all that close attention.

Does 1.0.2 work on the machine? The deb is here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/releases/1.0.2/
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

joepal wrote:Kind of odd problem though. I'm unaware of anything significant changing in the OpenGL code since the period you mention. But admittedly, I didn't pay all that close attention.

Does 1.0.2 work on the machine? The deb is here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/releases/1.0.2/

Thanks for the link. Yes, it works.

The basic problem is that the new MH 1.1.0 debian ppa script only runs on Ubuntu 14.04 and up; I never use Ubuntu 'odd' years if I can help it, so that meant 16.04. :geek:

That's when I discovered the Intel video chip problem, but more importantly the USB Ubuntu install problem (which appears to be something their engineers need to fix).

That one is important. Who does DVD installs any more? I can go down to my Sasktel store, where they are selling 16G flash drives for $5 Cdn out of a candy dish. :shock:
brkurt

Postby RobBaer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 pm

brkurt wrote:The basic problem is that the new MH 1.1.0 debian ppa script only runs on Ubuntu 14.04 and up; I never use Ubuntu 'odd' years if I can help it, so that meant 16.04. :geek:

Now I'm a little confused about where you are with this problem. I was able to install MH 1.1.0 on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine with an Intel card (without building), so I guess we need additional detail on what exactly the problem is, what Intel card you have in your machines, what Intel drivers, what GLSL version etc to come up with fixes that might help.
Does MakeHuman.log provide more information or insight into what you are trying to solve?
RobBaer

Postby brkurt » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 pm

RobBaer wrote:
brkurt wrote:The basic problem is that the new MH 1.1.0 debian ppa script only runs on Ubuntu 14.04 and up; I never use Ubuntu 'odd' years if I can help it, so that meant 16.04. :geek:

Now I'm a little confused about where you are with this problem. I was able to install MH 1.1.0 on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine with an Intel card (without building), so I guess we need additional detail on what exactly the problem is, what Intel card you have in your machines, what Intel drivers, what GLSL version etc to come up with fixes that might help.
Does MakeHuman.log provide more information or insight into what you are trying to solve?

Happy to oblige: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Not to worry! I've simple configure other machines; I'll just use these donated laptops to teach my Psychology Course.

Many thanks for responding.
brkurt

Postby duststorm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

The latest stable version has a --noshaders commandline option. With that, you can probably use the latest MakeHuman version on an old intel gfx card with crappy drivers.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby RobBaer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:30 pm

duststorm wrote:The latest stable version has a --noshaders commandline option. With that, you can probably use the latest MakeHuman version on an old intel grfx card with crappy drivers.

For the record there seems to have been an Intel driver update that took even newer Intel Graphics cards (and AMD?) into graphics hell. See Issues #1054 and #1061 on bug tracker.
The --noshaders is indeed a viable workaround in this case.

BTW, the same graphics card works fine on windows on the same dual boot computer even without the --noshaders switch. . I also think it worked fine with Ubuntu 14.04 and immediately after upgrading to 16.04. Conclusion -- These issues are not as simple as the GLSL version or the age of the card. It's about compatability.
RobBaer

Postby loki1950 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:27 am

For those people using any *buntu derived distro there is a ppa for Intel drivers that I have found useful https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/ these are not provided by Intel but group of FOSS guys that do know their way around X windows.Use it on my own laptop and do not need to use the --noshaders command line option.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby duststorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:55 am

By they way, I'm still not certain whether the Intel driver incompatibility is entirely due to the drivers being crappy, or the fact that the drivers are simply less forgiving in some scenarios, and we are simply making errors against the opengl spec in our implementation.
It would serve MH well if someone would take the time to properly audit the opengl rendering code and shaders. It's possible that some fixes will make it work on intel.

Testing with opengl debugging and error reporting commandline flags would go a long way in finding out the trouble areas.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby RobBaer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:04 pm

duststorm wrote:By they way, I'm still not certain whether the Intel driver incompatibility is entirely due to the drivers being crappy, or the fact that the drivers are simply less forgiving in some scenarios, and we are simply making errors against the opengl spec in our implementation.

I have been asking this same question, and I would be glad to contribute to finding the answer if I can figure out how. Looking at this code during the python 3 port effort has been quite daunting.

duststorm wrote:It would serve MH well if someone would take the time to properly audit the opengl rendering code and shaders. It's possible that some fixes will make it work on intel.

Testing with opengl debugging and error reporting commandline flags would go a long way in finding out the trouble areas.

I have begun doing a little of this, but my knowledge of shaders and openGL is quite weak. I have a lot of learning to catch up on. I will keep at it, but I would be more than glad to have guidance on the most systematic and efficient way to go about such a thing. As always, let me know how I can contribute productively to any shared effort.

The place to share findings is probably on bugtracker issue #1054.

@Jonas - Hope the holiday was good, and welcome back to the forum.
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Based on Loki's recommendations, I did some further testing. To make it short, same issue (#1054) on
  • Kubuntu 16.04.1 live
  • Kubuntu 16.04.1 fresh install
  • Kubuntu 16.04.1 up to date
  • Kubuntu + ppa:oibaf
  • Kubuntu + ppa:xorg-edgers
  • Debian testing (up to date, my current productive system :) )
MakeHuman worked flawlessly on Linux until Ubuntu 15.10 (incl.)
My hardware: Intel Haswell 4800MQ (HD 4600 IGP) and AMD M8970. I'm not commenting on AMD, since Linux support is changing heavily, and it's a hybrid system. On Windows 7 Makehuman still crashes on start, I'm using the latest AMD-WHQL and Intel graphics drivers. In contrast blender, as an opengl-program, starts flawless on Windows, though it has currently a minor issue on Linux (displaced auxiliary axis on move, scale or rotation, but the result of the operation is correct).

Interpretation of those results should be done very carefully, but they might point to a coding issue, although I won't exclude drivers problems.

@Loki: tell me if I'm wrong, but your Mint-system is still Ubuntu 14.04 based? What's the result of uname -r ?
Aranuvir

PreviousNext

Return to General discussions about makehuman