Does anyone have a Debian Nightly from 2014? 2015?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Does anyone have a Debian Nightly from 2014? 2015?

Postby RobBaer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm

On Windows 7 Makehuman still crashes on start, I'm using the latest AMD-WHQL and Intel graphics drivers. In contrast blender, as an opengl-program, starts flawless on Windows, though it has currently a minor issue on Linux (displaced auxiliary axis on move, scale or rotation, but the result of the operation is correct).

This is disturbing. I have not had problems on windows 7 or 10. Any word on what "crashes on start" really means? Do the logs show where it fails? The other thing I'd like to clarify is whether this is native Windows 7 machine or Kubuntu + virtual machine running Windows 7.
RobBaer

Postby loki1950 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Still running Mint 17.3 on the laptop which is based on trusty tahr running the 3.16.0-38 generic kernel.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Rob,

the Windows issue isn't completely new (my intial post about it). MakeHuman crashes in an early state, the results in the error-logs aren't helpful. As Jonas had proposed, I did some quick tests with other opengl-software based on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs and where I could quickly get my fingers on. (some of them were portable ;) ) List of application and result:
  • MakeHuman APPCRASH
  • Stellarium AppHangB1
  • Cellista Runs, but freezes on resize
  • Assault Cube No Problems
  • Blender No Problems
  • Cube No Problems
  • Cube 2 (Sauerbraten) No Problems
  • SuperTux No Problems
  • WareZone 2100 No Problems
  • Xonotic No Problems
So, these are mixed results, but the majority seem to work. Not sure how to interpret this?

EDIT: native Windows 7 Home Premium, I've a dual boot setup.

And Hi Loki,
thanks for the information. I assume you currently do not have problems due to the older software basis.
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Guess I missed your March Post. There you say:

Aranuvir wrote:Well, some further tests helped to isolate the issue. First a purged all graphics drivers. Without any graphics drivers MH is working unexpected smoothly. Next installed the Intel driver and MH still works smoothly. After installing the latest AMD driver the issue is back.

I'm not sure what "purge all graphics" drivers means because the OS can't run without graphics drivers. That said, why did you install additional Intel stuff if MH was already working? I presume the AMD card is stand-alone with GPU hardware, so I understand wanting to let the OS use that, and it seems that the Windows problem is a matter of getting the right AMD driver. Perhaps AMD has upgraded choices since March. Unfortunately, I haven't owned an AMD card in years.

There is a great utility in the Windows world to automatically help you find, and install the right Intel drivers. Of course, it seems like maybe you Intel drivers for Windows are already operating properly.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... etect.html

Nice idea to look at other openGL program list. I haven't tried that on the Ubuntu machine where MakeHuman is having shader difficulty. I'll try this when I can find some time. Other than Blender, I'm not really too familiar with the programs on your Windows list.

Your Kubuntu testing makes the issue seem generic and not MakeHuman specific if I'm reading your correctly.
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 pm

At first I had a lengthy respond in mind, but then I found out to have missed an important thing :oops: : forcing MakeHuman to use the AMD-card within the radeon settings fixed the issue. I thought to have tested this before, but obviously not thoroughly enough (Or the drivers were fixed in the meantime). There are no shading issues. Conclusion: MH works when Intel is used alone or in a hybrid environment when forced to use the AMD-graphics card, but crashes when there is a choice... I'd call this a driver issue!

Other than Blender, I'm not really too familiar with the programs on your Windows list.

You will find many familiar programs on the Wikipedia list. I just wanted some free opengl-programs, I could quickly download and do not have to install. So, I searched on PortableApps. Most of the programs I tested were ego shooter.
But seeing what happens when run on Linux is a great idea. I'll do some testing on my own.

The idea of my (k)ubuntu-testing was to narrow the date the issue occurred first. Perhaps it would be possible to find out what has changed. And I wanted to test the two ppa, which are said to be newer/better, but didn't solve the shading problem.

BTW: I know the OS doesn't run without a graphics drivers, it was in some basic vga-mode... ;)
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:08 am

Aranuvir wrote:The idea of my (k)ubuntu-testing was to narrow the date the issue occurred first. Perhaps it would be possible to find out what has changed. And I wanted to test the two ppa, which are said to be newer/better, but didn't solve the shading problem.

So, being quite new to Ubuntu I've had some trouble understanding how to properly test different driver combinations. When you tested the two ppa were you "uninstalling" something before installing the second one? Or, can you just download and install over the top? When there are apt-get package managers involved are there other special considerations for "doing this right"?

How would I go about rolling back to the Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade that existed when I first upgraded from 14.04, because I'm thinking MH was rendering fine until a "mesa upgrade". If you know Docs worthy of reading I'm game to check them out!
RobBaer

Postby loki1950 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:41 am

I would have a look at the mesa change list and their dev list things like breaking compatibility are usually highlighted there so distro assemblers can get some heads up signal that may break mesa's usability there is also the possibility that a kernel change is also involved though that is of much lower probability.When using apt-get one of it's option is a purge cmd to get rid of obsolete packages but if you are just changing from one iteration of a driver to an other apt-get does a good job of cleaning up after itself :D much better than RH's yum which I use for quite awhile from fedora core 3 till about fedora 20 when I moved to Mint.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:53 am

RobBaer wrote:So, being quite new to Ubuntu I've had some trouble understanding how to properly test different driver combinations. When you tested the two ppa were you "uninstalling" something before installing the second one? Or, can you just download and install over the top? When there are apt-get package managers involved are there other special considerations for "doing this right"?

You do not need to uninstall old drivers.PPA just adds an extra repository to /etc/apt/source.list. To achieve this run
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: launchpad_user_name/repo_name      e.g: oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update

If an older versions of the software is already installed (e.g. graphic-drivers), just run
apt-get dist-upgrade

in case of new software (e.g. makehuman) run
apt-get install makehuman

In case of graphics drivers you need to restart at least the X-server, log out or better reboot. General hint: every ppa shows the information you need to install it.

to remove a ppa use ppa-purge (needs to be installed first!)
ppa-purge ppa:launchpad_user_name/repo_name
then apt-get uninstall --purge packagename or in case you want to downgrade (e.g. drivers) apt-get update + dist-upgrade

How would I go about rolling back to the Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade that existed when I first upgraded from 14.04, because I'm thinking MH was rendering fine until a "mesa upgrade". If you know Docs worthy of reading I'm game to check them out!

I don't now a way back. You can use a live media to test. It is also possible to install software in live mode. Get a 16.04 iso, since 16.04.1 is already an updated version from July. I have recently checked a 16.04 Kubuntu, too, with the same result (hint: I wasn't able to resolve and install all dependencies for MakeHuman on Ubuntu so I had to switch to Kubuntu, probably the problem was on my testing setup). Here is a US-server http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases/ . Maybe you find a server, that suits better...
Aranuvir

Previous

Return to General discussions about makehuman