Textured export?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Textured export?

Postby Alan47 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi,

its been a long time (3 months? Even more?) since I last downloaded a nightly build of makehuman. Downloaded and executed the latest build yesterday. Back in the days, someone told me here in the forum that it will be possible in the near future (which would be... about now... I guess...) to export makehuman models not just as meshes, but as TEXTURED meshes. Which would be really important to me since I am THIS bad at texturing. So I gave it a shot, exportet to object, PRAYING that it will work - but apparently it doesn't.

So, my question: Is there already textured export and .obj is just not supporting this or is textured model export still a feature on the "to-do"-List? If so, is there some kind of a "release date" for this feature?

Greets,

Alan47
Alan47

Re: Textured export?

Postby mflerackers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am

You just have to use the textures in makehuman\data\textures, that's how it always has worked since export was added. All models use the same texture, so it's a bit silly to just copy it with each export.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby Alan47 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi,

thanks for reply. I know that the textures themselves are somewhere in the makehuman install directory. But getting the textures isn't the problem, what about the UV mapping of the model? Is that exported as well? (Haven't checked on that yet) I mean, having a vertex model and a 2D texture alone isn't enough to make it a textured model, after all...
Alan47

Postby mflerackers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:56 pm

It's uv mapped.
mflerackers

Postby Alan47 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

HEY, wow, you're right - this is *awesome*! They should definitly give you a message in the export window telling you that the exported model is already uv-mapped, who would assume that? ^^ Thanks a lot, man!

One final question: when I import my .obj export from makehuman into Blender, I have diamond-shaped meshes where the joints are and some of them in front of the eyes - do they have a special meaning? How about animation - does the model have bones already or something?
Alan47

Postby mflerackers » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:57 pm

The diamonds are used to construct the skeleton at export (bvh). If you work with blender you might export to mhx instead, then you can import a fully rigged model.
mflerackers

Postby ThomasL » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:37 am

The mhx importer for 2.5x deletes the diamonds (and more generally all triangular faces) by default, but there is an option for keeping them. The importer for 2.49 deletes them unless shapekeys are imported. The reason is that deleting verts from a mesh with shapekeys in Blender 2.49 is a bad idea (= crash).
ThomasL

Postby Alan47 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks people, I'll try to use the mhx export as soon as I can, sounds awesome! I'm beginning to like Makehuman more and more ^^

Greets,

Alan
Alan47

Postby code_blue » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:40 am

hey can you guys help please i can't add the eye texture in 3d max please please
code_blue

Postby RobBaer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 pm

code_blue wrote:hey can you guys help please i can't add the eye texture in 3d max please please

I wrote this some time back (as a non-3DMax user) but maybe it will be of some use with eye textures: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... esk_3DSMax
RobBaer

Return to General discussions about makehuman