Problem with MakeClothes

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Problem with MakeClothes

Postby gryff » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm trying to MakeClothes for a male and female figure - starting with a female figure. Here is my work flow for making a long skirt:

1. Load the "Average Female With Helpers"
2. Delete all the quads except those of the body mesh and the skirt (blue material).
3. Duplicate and then separate the vertices that make up the skirt and rename the new object to "aSkirt". I do not alter the mesh geometry in any way.
4. Select the "Human" mesh and delete the original blue skirt vertices.
5. Remove all materials from this new aSkirt object and then create a new one (pink material). Create a seam down the back and uvunwrap the aSkirt object.
6. Make sure the mesh type is set to clothing for this new object
7. Delete all the vertex groups from this object then hit the "Create Vertex Groups" button - get mid, left and right groups created. ***
8. Select the Human and new aSkirt objects and hit the "MakeClothes" button

It throws an error everytime that it is unable to find vertex 0 in one of the vertex groups (left).

*** I have also tried omitting this step and letting the "MakeClothes" script create the vertex groups - get the same result.

Anyone any idea why I get this error? I'm using Blender 2.71 and using MakeClothes version 0.949

cheers, gryff :)
gryff

Re: Problem with MakeClothes

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 am

gryff wrote:3. (...) I do not alter the mesh geometry in any way.
4. Select the "Human" mesh and delete the original blue skirt vertices.

This sounds like contradictory.

You will want to fit the skirt to the skirt helpers, and no other body vertices of the base mesh.
Therefore hitting the "auto assign vertex groups" button will probably get you nowhere.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 pm

gryff wrote:
It throws an error everytime that it is unable to find vertex 0 in one of the vertex groups (left).

Take a look here: http://3d-art.berghold.net/?page_id=120

The approach you're taking doesn't sound quite right to me. Part of my work flow goes something like this:

* load a human mesh with helpers
* select the helper mesh I'm going to work with
* separate (P) the desired mesh
* reselect the human mesh and delete.
* perform initial edits on clothing mesh
* load human mesh without helpers to check alignment and modify the clothing mesh as needed. (Common issue is with pants in the crotch area)
* UV unwrap the clothing mesh and apply mirror modifier if needed
* select human and clothing mesh
* run MakeClothes

I've left some steps out but that's the gist.

Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby ThomasL » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 am

If you create your clothing starting from a human mesh, it inherits the original vertex groups. Vertex groups for humans and clothes are different: each clothes vertex must belong to exactly one group, but a human vertex may belong to zero or many groups. To fix this, press Create Vertex Groups *after* the Mesh Type has been changed to Clothing.
ThomasL

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm

ThomasL wrote:If you create your clothing starting from a human mesh, it inherits the original vertex groups. Vertex groups for humans and clothes are different: each clothes vertex must belong to exactly one group, but a human vertex may belong to zero or many groups. To fix this, press Create Vertex Groups *after* the Mesh Type has been changed to Clothing.

forgot about that when I wrote my post...

Usually what I do is right after I separate the helper I go in and delete all the materials and vertex groups. I then create a new material, rename the mesh and finish the model.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: Problem with MakeClothes - SOLVED

Postby gryff » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks for the replies folks :)

I took tried out Salty Cowdawgs's workflow - and it worked fine :D

Below is just a simple test result from creating boots and tight uniform.

Not sure where I was going wrong - but just deleleting the helpers does not seem to work. Deleting the whole human object and then reloading a new human object without helpers does work. So now I can start tweaking meshes to create better boots etc.

Thanks very much for your post Salty - it stopped me tearing out all my hair :o

cheers, gryff :)
Attachments
makehuman1.png
gryff

Postby Davidus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 am

:D Oh thank you thank you thank you! I was struggling ALL DAY LONG with the only youtube tutorial...you can even see my notes on there. Over and over again I restarted Blender, trashed a scene and started over.. then I read your posts on here. I didn't even make seams in the clothing.. just went straight ahead to UV Unwrap, I did make a material with no texture.. just to see what would happen..and WA LA! There is some error with the mesh, but not enough to stop it from happening. I was at my wit's end. THANK YOU!
Davidus

Return to General discussions about makehuman