License opinion query

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: License opinion query

Postby joepal » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm

We are going to revise the license before releasing 1.2.0, which will happen in september (probably)

The goal will be to remove as many of these uncertainties as possible, and make the license as permissive as possible.

Thus, discussing the current license at this point is somewhat superfluous.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby nomorecookies » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I had hoped for a 'go ahead and move forward' but it sounds as though you all are trying to head the right way with the license. I, and i am sure many others, will be flabergasted if what i had mentioned does not fall within the license.

Thank you all for what you have done and are doing.
Be well
nomorecookies

Postby RobBaer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:21 pm

@nomorecookies. To my read, your use-case seems very consistent with intended use, but my opinion is just that, not an official comment.

The only other comment worth making is that, if you use assets from the community repository, please check and honor those licenses which are separate from MH itself.
RobBaer

Postby nomorecookies » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for the input, i tend to agree. I will have to wait for final word though it seems. In the mean time, i am extending the phoneme/viseme set of papagayo-ng and updating the dictionary to the most recent 2015 version, as the one included is from 1998 and is rife with errors. at the same time i am doing this, i am modifying the MHX2 plugin to handle the added output from papagayo-ng, and to fix the exaggerated visemes that are already included. this is a time consuming process, but it is moving forward. I am also in the process of moving, so i may drop off the radar for a couple of weeks in the near future. but i see no reason that this will, in the end, stop me from completing these tasks. i have already updated my local CMU pronunciation dictionary and added additional phonemes, and it is working great. i was just holding off on a merge request with papagayo-ng until i was done with the rest.
Fingers crossed that the end license allows the previously mentioned scenario, which i consider to be a primary point of this whole project.

as a note, i am not officially a part of any of these projects. just a community user trying to extend functionality.

be well!
nomorecookies

Postby RobBaer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:12 pm

This sounds like a useful project indeed, and we look forward to you sharing your results. Like all volunteer enterprises we count on the community giving back and are grateful for the time donated to the project, even at a pace that leaves room for real life. Have a safe move. :D
RobBaer

Postby nomorecookies » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Thank you, hopefully the move will go smoothly :)

I have made the decision to bypass MHX2 for the visemes input as it, in the end, gets rather confusing trying to get the models MHX2 makes, and the models the come directly from MakeHuman through the blender plugin, to play nicely together on the technical side. So, i have instead opted for a much easier route that can be applied to either formats (and saves me many headaches trying to alter the code as a non programmer)

using this https://github.com/iCEE-HAM/io_import_lipSync-blender2.8 allows the work i have done in papagayo-ng to be applied to either format that is being used.

I will try to have the visemes working with both MHX2 and MPFB, but it seems more likely that it will be limited to MPFB. Ideally, i will be able to include the .targets of the extended visemes as downloadable assets under the 'custom' section. this will make the flow from MakeHuman to quality lipsync much more readily available.

I also wanted to re-note this project https://github.com/AssetDK/makeshapes
Since i have opted to bypass MHX2 and its ability to add face shapes, this project will most likely be required for ease of the new visemes incorporation to the MPFB models in Blender.

This is perhaps the wrong discussion to be mentioning all of this in. When it is all complete, i will create a new message with all the information.

MPFB = Makehuman Plugin for Blender
nomorecookies

Previous

Return to General discussions about makehuman