changing the skin of makehuman

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

changing the skin of makehuman

Postby swathi » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:55 pm

I am changing the texture painting and skinning of make human. I hope you like it.
Some sample skins below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBblSTwsNwk&t=4s

bl1.png
Attachments
kl_m4.png
kl_Ld6.png
kl_Ld2.png
Af_M1.png
swathi

Re: changing the skin of makehuman

Postby Ricardo2020 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:04 pm

I am gonna have to try these out....

OK. I downloaded the images and put them in my skins directory.

Next, I opened MakeHuman and went to the material editor in utilities.

I wanted to see what would happen if I selected the default skin to be edited and so I chose one of these images for the diffuse box to see what would happen. Nothing changed until I selected the ambient box, again using this file from your post. BINGO. New skin in the editor. Time to save the result.

Since you posted images only without mat files, I decided to create them using the material editor save button. I made all of them into usable skin files which show up in the material thumbnails as workable skins. As I was playing with this new stuff, I did notice some lighting anomalies where the unwrap and the shaders present some interesting texture colors after rendering. There are no seams or other surface artifacts, but there are weird lighting shades in places like the arms and legs. Even so, the skins are quite usable in their current state.

Finally, I had a go at making some models using the new skins. So far, I have only worked with the female skins, but the male skins are ready to go and they look great. The faces are epic. And so I must play around with them and get some renders. I shall post those here when completed. My work is slow with life happening and all, but they are on my to do list.

Thanks for the files. With your permission, I would like to post the skins when you are ready, but I can wait for the final versions of the images as well as stand by to see skins you make with them. I do not want to steal your thunder.

I look forward to your future efforts here at the Community.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Postby swathi » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:43 pm

Thank you for kind words and detailed description. As i mentioned in the video, These are diffuse map only. not albedo map. Means light, specular etc are combined. (even some shadows) . I am not familiar with makehuman material editor. I use blender to texture it. But both Uv map are same. so i don't think it will make some difficulty. these skin textures are better for shadeless material i think.
swathi

Postby Ricardo2020 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:23 am

Many welcomes.

About the MakeHuman utility known as the material editor:

The main purpose of this tool is to fix problems which happen after asset creation wherein the images might not load due to incorrect mat file syntax. Rather than pulling up said mat file in a text editor and wading through the assembly language, the material editor lets you do it graphically and shows the changes in real time.

Another use for the utility is to create mat files for material settings which belong to a given asset wherein you assign your own images as new materials. Say you have a white crude tee shirt and you want to create a selection of other colors for the garment. This is how one would go about doing that using the editor.

1. Find the image which defines the crude tee shirt. Load it up in your graphics editor. I like to use the GIMP. However, the process is the same for most graphics proggies.

2. Once the file is loaded as a PNG with an alpha layer, meaning anything not part of the image will be transparent, you can use the color chooser, select all and flood tools to get at the desired new shade for the shirt.

3. After you arrive at the desired hue, chroma, etc., export the file under a new name to a material folder within the asset folder where the shirt lives within the clothes folder inside the MakeHuman home folder.

4. When all the new textures are inside said material folder, it is time to make the associated mat files. To do this, launch MakeHuman and put the shirt on the model. This is done by going to the clothes tab, finding the shirt in the right pane, and selecting it wherein it will now be on the model within the viewer.

5. Go to the Utilities tab and click the Material Editor. Select the shirt in the left pane and the right pane will show all the stuff you can edit. Two of these boxes are where you select the image you want the shirt to have.

6. Go to the ambient and diffuse boxes and put your image in there. To do this, hit the button below the squere and navigate to your file. Do this for both boxes since it is a single flat texture which has no split function for the two file boxes.

7. Go down to the bottom of the right pane and save your new mat file within the same folder where your new material images live. Give it the same name as you gave the new texture. It will save as a mat file readable by MakeHuman. Repeat this for each new material you made for the shirt.

8. Next, go out to the Clothes tab and make sure the shirt you are working with is highlit in the right pane.

9. Now go out to the Material tab next to the Clothes tab. Select the shirt in the left pane. You will see your new materials in the right pane. You can now chose your new colors!

Note that you are not confined to just changing the color. You can also put your own texture in there by using an image of said texture as a "copy paste as layer" function in the GIMP or other proggie during file creation. The possibilities are endless.

Also of note is the normal map function in the GIMP which lets you turn any static diffuse texture into a normal map so you can assign roughness to the garment. The normal map function is a plugin you add to the GIMP. This normal map file also goes in the materials folder for the garment in question. Then you can assign it to your mat file using the editor and resaving the mat.

And so, there you have it. A quick and dirty run down of the MakeHuman material editor. It is a very powerful tool. It is also one of the many plugins within MakeHuman. If you do not see it within your instance of the program, you can easily enable it within the settings>plugins tab. This requires a restart of MakeHuman to take effect.

Happy modeling...
Ricardo2020

Postby swathi » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:28 pm

That was really deep. Thank you. I will try this, and let you know the result
swathi

Postby Ricardo2020 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:55 am

Many welcomes. Glad to be of service.
Ricardo2020

Postby JolieKeva » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:53 am

It's very helpful. Thank you for your sharing. I will try it now watermelon game
JolieKeva

Return to General discussions about makehuman