Old Vs Recent Versions of MakeHuman

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Old Vs Recent Versions of MakeHuman

Postby rhiz18 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi All,

First of all, I’d like to say that I’m very appreciative of the effort that the developers have put into this piece of software and the fact that they make it freely available, so I hope that the rest of my post isn’t perceived as being unduly critical. It’s a very useful piece of software with a rich feature set.

That said, I’ve been following the development of MakeHuman almost from the beginning, and what really appealed to me in those early versions was the fact that it was capable of producing very naturalistic and characterful models, as opposed to Poser which I felt tended to produce very generic, “pixie-faced” mannequins. In the early versions of MH the age, gender and racial variables produced meaningful differences while maintaining a high degree of detail and anatomical accuracy. Over the course of it’s development though, MH human seems to have lost that quality somewhat, and I was just wondering why. Was there a change in philosophy, a change in the development team etc? Here’s an image of a couple of models produced by really early versions of the software – if you compare this with the kind of models produced by recent versions, you’ll see my point. I can’t recall which version generated these, but it was an early one:

rhiz18

Re: Old Vs Recent Versions of MakeHuman

Postby RobBaer » Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Well I have not been here since the beginning, but I have been around long enough to say that most of your explanations for change are partly true. MakeHuman (I think) started out as MakeFace if I understand my history. There was then an anthropological period, and more recently the concept has been to provide a quick starting place for artists wishing to complete their artistic visions in a variety of downstream software.

Of course, 3D art itself has grown and evolved. There are many different types of 3D artist wishing to do many things with MakeHuman as a starting place then there were in the early days. Manuel Bastioni was the driving for for the evolution and vision of the model/art in MakeHuman, and about 24 months ago he decided (I think for a second time) that his artistic creativity needed to move to a more individual and non-administrative effort, so he started his Manuel Bastioni Lab project. You might find (or not) that this encompasses some of the variety/creativity you now find missing in MakeHuman. If so, you are in luck because he stays busy: http://www.manuelbastioni.com/index.php

On the other hand, you may want to find and run a favorite old version of MakeHuman that helps you recapture old capabilities. Again, you are in luck because there is an archive: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... keHuman%3F

Currently, on the surface, MakeHuman does not appear to be changing much. This is because the developers are dug in trying to modernize the underlying architecture to current coding and maintenance standards.

The artistic growth of MakeHuman has been in the hands of the MakeHuman community since Manuel moved back on his own. There have been many, many posts to this forum of phenomenal artwork by our community artists over the last several years, so it is with some trepidation that I take this opportunity to share one of my personal favorite s which is Mindfront's Samuel playing his violin: download/file.php?id=6126&mode=view I hope you will agree that it is still possible to do some great things with the current MakeHuman.

We welcome your help in pushing the artistic directions along with the other community members. Share you work, and help us support your needs. We evolve slowly but always as a shared enterprise in support of the community.
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 am

Your observations are in part true. The base mesh has indeed been slimmed down a bit.

This does, however, not mean that you can't model more extreme characters. You'll just have to go at it via a somewhat different pipeline.

The old versions had a one-size-fits-all approach to things, which made things cumbersome and inefficient in many instances. The new versions delegate parts of the decision of what approach to take to proxies and normal maps.

But if you only look at the MH GUI without taking into account the surrounding tools (primarily MakeClothes for creating new proxies), then your observation is mostly correct.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby rhiz18 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Thank you very much for your responses. Yes, I suspected that this was the case, and it certainly makes sense to provide a fairly neutral mesh as starting point in a broader pipeline. MakeHuman does that brilliantly.
rhiz18

Return to General discussions about makehuman