For kubuntu 7.10 users

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

For kubuntu 7.10 users

Postby xtreek » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Hello:

I want to ask kubuntu users, what you do to install (compile or any) and have ready the makehuman program in this distro. I know about different tutorials in the web, I try all, but I cant run properly the program.
I also tried the windows version under wine.
The fact is: The program compile, run and its possible to do some things (age, sex, breast, muscle, weight, etc.)
But its not possible to change the eyes, the ears, the lips, neck, or any other shape of the body. Some users report that this is possible, but in another distros. Any kubuntu user, what can say about this?

Thank you.
xtreek

Re: For kubuntu 7.10 users

Postby monkeymoose » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:12 pm

hi there
i'm pretty much a newbie around here myself, but came across this post while looking for a means of simply panning the viewport in MH :-) none the less i just got my installation of make human to compile properly under Kubuntu 7.10, i checked out these things
But its not possible to change the eyes, the ears, the lips, neck
...from the post and they definitely are working on my installation.
can't really offer you any suggestions on why your installation is not allowing usage of the above mentioned tools like i said am still totally a newbie ;) anyway what can can do is give you a very vague idea of how i went about installing MH on my setup. using
KUBUNTU 7.10 i386 to Install MakeHuman v0.9.0 from source code
there is a post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333615 on the ubuntu forums which is about 4 pages long i'll try to spare you what i just went through...
fisrt you'll need some packages which you can get here
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=150931&package_id=211091&release_id=463093
you will need all five listed packages download and install them using Package Installer (as synaptic cannot install .deb files) in this order
animorph1_0.2-1_i386.deb
animorph-dev_0.2-1_i386.deb
mhgui1_0.1-1_i386.deb
mhgui-dev_0.1-1_i386.deb
makehuman_0.9-1_i386.deb
a note about the last file. this file is 37 MB and if you live in south africa that can take quite a while to download. i already had the source code for makeHuman v 0.9.0 which i obtained as a cover DVD from a Blender book about character animation. i realize the version i'm using is different but since no one has replied to this post yet. maybe this post could help.
if you have make human working from installing the above listed files, you don't need to continue, however if you are un/fortunate enough to only have the source code then read on...
the source code for MH 0.9.1 can be obtained here
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=150931&package_id=168385&release_id=560648
about a 30MB download
amongst these packages you'll also need several other files and packages they depend on to compile properly like FREEGLUT or GLUT for example. in terminal run these commands some of these packages you might already have in that case you can skip those, if you're certain you have them.
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install freeglut3 freeglut3-dev
sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion
sudo apt-get install automake1.9 autoconf libtool
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxmu-dev libxxf86vm-dev
sudo apt-get install libglut3 libglut3-dev

from terminal change to the directory you extracted the source code to using something like the package Ark
cd /home/user/Documents/makehuman-0.9/

once in the appropriate directory type
sudo ./configure

if you get any errors at this stage i suggest doing a search on the ubuntu forum i linked to above.
such as something like
checking for FreeGLUT library... no
checking for GLUT library... no

* Abort!                                          *
* You need support for FREEGLUT or GLUT in mhgui! *

if i could help you i would, but like i said my knowledge of linux is pretty limited
you then need to type
sudo make

this takes quite a while... then type
sudo make install

this should all work out fine and if it does type makehuman in terminal and MH should start.
hope that helps
please note the post i linked to above is specifically "For the discussion of Ubuntu on the AMD 64 platform" this post is about the installation of makeHuman on Kubuntu 7.10 i386 ( 32-bit version )
monkeymoose

Return to Newbies