Vertex Groups and Bone Weights

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Vertex Groups and Bone Weights

Postby DeadRabit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Is there a way to get the vertex groups or bone weights exported from MH?

i need to create a rather gymnastic rig and the "from bone weight" and weight painting function in blender is not cutting it. From the poses in MH it is obvoius that it is using some or other vertex groups.

DR
DeadRabit

Re: Vertex Groups and Bone Weights

Postby trottski » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Yea, I have the same question. Is there an answer???
trottski

Postby Nadow » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 pm

If you use MH 0.9.1r1 and Blender:

Import the collada into Blender.
Mark the body mesh first and than the amature. I hope it is correct. If not select first the bones and than the body mesh.
Press Ctrl + G.
After that there is a dialog where Blender asks you how to generate the bone weights. I think you have to take the last option.

After thet you can pose the character in Blender.

I hope that is correct. I give no warranty. ;-)
Desaster Games
// Lead artist
Nadow

Postby Shaba1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Nadow he wanted vertex groups and or bone weights EXPORTED from Makehuman to blender. In other worlds automatically.

Short answer. NO there is no way of doing that right now. I seem to remember that being mentioned as one of the developement goals for Makehuman 1.0 but right now its not there.

Bottom line. Import from a makehuman collada export, then right click to select the armature(NOT the skeleton, unless you want to animate the skeleton too) press and hold shift, right click to select the mesh( body,head and any other parts you want to animate and deform via the armature. Leave the parts out that you do not want to deform. I leave out the eyelashes and tounge and teeth. In fact I delete all of those becasue I do not need them for what I do) Press ctrl-key and the p key and (I use) use bone heat.

Bone heat does not give you perfect vertex to bone attachments or deformations. But it cuts the process why down to size. I then go in and manually select the bones and the vertices I want those attached to if bone heat does not get things the way I want. Then I just pose.

Bottom line is that you have to work at it. To get it the way you want. Bone Heat just cuts down the job a bit.
Shaba1

Return to Newbies