blender unwrapping

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

blender unwrapping

Postby razvanab » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:23 pm

can you make a blender tutorial on how to unwrap a "make human" mesh correctly ?

Thank You !
razvanab

Re: blender unwrapping

Postby Jep » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:56 pm

razvanab wrote:can you make a blender tutorial on how to unwrap a "make human" mesh correctly ?

I can't, and I get the impression everybody here who can is way too busy developing the next version MakeHuman. You may get more response in the Blender community.

It is a good idea to describe what you are capable of doing with the program because unwrapping a complicated mesh is a task that is about impossible to explain to someone completely fresh and green to it all.

Do search for descriptions of the process beforehand! I am not at all familiar with Blender but I from what I have seen it has a very active user base. It would surprise me if there is not already plenty to be found for studying yourself.
Jep

Re: blender unwrapping

Postby Shaba1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 pm

The best way that I have found of unwrapping a MH mesh is using blender seams.
I import the mesh using a collada export from MH. Search here or in the docs on how to do that. http://WWW.blenderunderground.com has a tutorial that I help put into pdf format that s VERY good at explaining how to export.

In anycase once I get the mesh into blender I am faced with a choice. Do I keep the same number of polygons or do I somehow reduce it. I mainly use MH of export to panda3d or for use in blender's Game Engine. Those are realtime application and have a very high poly count will slow things way down. If you are just using the figure for a static render you do not need to be so concerned.

Well unwrapping a non low poly MH mesh. That is one that you have imported to blender and NOT reduces the polycount is really easy. You just go into edit mode by right clicking to select the mesh. Then go to the material buttons and delete everything but the skin material. You do not need anything else. IIRC that will select the whole body except the head. Find the head material. The vertices of the head should be highlighted and if you are still in the edit mode shift-select the body also. Now do a shift-p to join both parts into one mesh.

After that use ctrl-RMB to select the edges that you want to unwarp the figure along and then do a CTRL-E and select mark seam. That will place a 'seam' along that edge for later unwrapping in the uv editor. Do this same procedure all around the mesh, wherever you want a UV "Island". Make Sure you have closed and seperated islands or the unwrapper will get confused. Then still in edit mode, split your biggest blender window into two windows. Make one a uv/image editor window and the other a 3d window with your mesh. With the cursor/pointer in the 3d window press the U key. A menu will pop up with choices on how you want to unwrap the mesh. Make your choice and the uv mesh will appear in the uv/image window.

As I said this is easy with a non decimated imported MH mesh. All the edges are mainly straight so its easy to select the correct edges where you want seams to be places, becasue most of the polygons are quads. The problem I have is that the poly count is to high so I HAVE to decimate. That turns all the quads to tris and takes away long lengths of edges to select automatically with CTRL-RMB.
Shaba1

Return to Newbies