Help Making my 2D Chars 3D

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Help Making my 2D Chars 3D

Postby EwanG » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Have convinced myself that rather than write another VN, I want to get into animation. Less branches to worry about

Am trying to figure out the easiest way for me to take my current 2D characters and turn them into 3D models. I've taken a quick look at MakeHuman, but can't figure out how I would get it to add the facial and hair features of my characters.

You can see some samples of my characters at
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144 ... p_pic2.png
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144 ... p_pic1.png

Suggestions on how to go from what I have to something animatable using MakeHuman would be greatly appreciated!
EwanG

Re: Help Making my 2D Chars 3D

Postby Manuel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:47 am

Unfortunately to convert 2D in 3D, automatically, you need a series of feature that actually aren't in MH, sorry...
Besides, from 3D to 2D is very easy. We are working to add some toon shaders and "manga style" targets.
So the most correct way to work is to model the character directly in 3D, and later convert it in toon style.

Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Re: Help Making my 2D Chars 3D

Postby EwanG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Manuel wrote:Unfortunately to convert 2D in 3D, automatically, you need a series of feature that actually aren't in MH, sorry...

No problem, just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed something. No reason to make my life any harder than necessary :D

Manuel wrote:Besides, from 3D to 2D is very easy. We are working to add some toon shaders and "manga style" targets. So the most correct way to work is to model the character directly in 3D, and later convert it in toon style.

Guess what I'm looking for, then, is how to most easily get a 3d face to resemble the 2d face of my character? Do I somehow "paint" the feature, or do I have to sculpt the head? And for hair, I assume I have to pull the figure into Blender - but then am not quite clear on what to do.

Thanks again for the help!
EwanG

Return to Newbies