how to do .obj export in parts?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

how to do .obj export in parts?

Postby Jep » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Am a somewhat advanced user of Art Of Illusion, an opensource 3d modeller/renderer like Blender.

On export of a character and import to polymesh in AoI, I once got the objects separated into 8 parts; body, head, iris, teeth etcetera.
But I can't reproduce that, it comes as a single combined polymesh. Is that perhaps some flaw of AoI or have I missed something in the quickstart and pistacja's guidelines?
Jep

Re: how to do .obj export in parts?

Postby pistacja » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 am

All the parts you get have different materials (textures), they are something like sub objects(children) of the main (parent)mesh. In Max (and I think in Blender as well) they are one object but with different surface id (so you can manipulate hem all at once as a whole or each part separately).

I had a brief look at the on-line manual for AoL, but I haven't found anything like attach or weld nor assigning multiple textures to one object. You could try boolean->union but then you'd have make your own texture/material and uvw.
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Re: how to do .obj export in parts?

Postby Jep » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 pm

pistacja wrote:All the parts you get have different materials (textures),[...]

The polymesh editor is a plugin for AoI, separately written, and it is not really documented. The manual deals with trimeshes which are a native part of the app.
AFAIK it is indeed not possible to assign multiple textures to parts of one single object, it needs to be divided. There is UV mapping but that is not what you meant probably.

Was wondering if I done something right that one time I did got a character in parts with indeed all those textures separately, but it appears it is something to ask the aoi people.

Thanks for looking into it!
It is an amazing prog, MakeHuman. In userfriendliness for one it is already way ahead of that one program which name I avoid.

I'll save further questions until I've studied as much as possible for MH and rendering with Aqsis. Thanks again.
Jep

Return to Newbies