MakeHuman stops running after intro text (Windows source)

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman stops running after intro text (Windows source)

Postby AdamChutney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:09 am

Hi all! :) I'm stricly speaking not a newbie, but it's been a while. :)

I loved using makehuman on my last PC, but am having trouble getting MakeHuman to run in Windows using python source. (I have python installed on my PC, so the .exe wasn't an option due to library mismatches etc).

I may have made a mistake on the way, so I may be a little verbose but hopefully it'll give as much information as possible. :) Any help getting started would be wonderful if possible. :)

Effectively I followed the steps on https://github.com/makehumancommunity/makehuman

1. Updated python and pip
  2. I cloned the makehuman main repository and am on the 10/19/22 push on main `d9d4db7076c63ff39bc63f8bffd7acdcd0689cfe`
  3. Installed the required extras, and then verified using
    Code: Select all
    pip install -r requirements.txt
    . This reported everything was met.
  4. Tried to run makehuman.py by navigating to the makehuman folder and calling
    Code: Select all
    C:\Users\adamc\Documents\MakeHuman\makehuman

When I do this, I see in my PowerShell:
MakeHuman Copyright (C) 2001-2020 http://www.makehumancommunity.org
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions. For details use the option --license

After that, nothing happens and I'm returned to the regular prompt. I've checked taskmanager etc and nothing related is running in the background etc.

After that, I tried running the "compile_models.py" "compile_targets.py" "compile_proxies.py" "download_assets.py" "download_assets_git.py" and "create_pylint_log.py".

I also tried installing the extras:
  • jupyterlab (threw up some angry errors because rust and cargo weren't found when making metadata (both were installed using the exe on rustup.rs)
  • qtconsole (installed with no issue)

Each time I call the makehuman.py I get the same result of the intro console text and nothing else.

Thanks so much for reading all this! :) Any help would be very much appreciated. I apologise for the lack of log files, i haven't got any generated (besides the empty 0kb pylint.log) - presumably as the MakeHuman exits before getting that far?
AdamChutney

Re: MakeHuman stops running after intro text (Windows source

Postby joepal » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Hard to say what's happening based on this. I'd start speculating that the graphics driver doesn't like the opengl version MH uses. Which graphics card are you using?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby AdamChutney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:18 pm

Hi Joepal, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! :)

I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080, and it seems to be up to date with drivers etc. DXDiag doesn't talk about any other cards etc. To be safe, I uploaded the output from it in case I've missed anything and to try and give as much infomation as possible. :)

I could test openGL and see if that plays nicely to see if it's just my pesky card if there's a way to test, and if helps. I must say, I feel happier knowing it wasn't a simple "Adam, you haven't ticked this box you muppet!" as those ones are embarassing!

Thank you again! I really appreciate your help with this. :)
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
This is a DxDiag output from my PC in case it's useful :)
(97.45 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
AdamChutney

Postby tomcat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:29 pm

AdamChutney wrote:I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080

You could potentially have problems with the graphics built into the CPU. This is a problem with all notebooks. You could try forcing the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 in the control panel.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby AdamChutney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi TomCat, thank you for this idea!

I just had a go with updating my graphics card drivers, forcing Nvidia Control Panel to prefer "Quality", turned off Hardward Accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows, rebooted etc. :)

Sadly it didn't seem to carry onto python, as it still gets to the same text and exits. However it's always good to keep things ticking over properly in general - some settings in there weren't great anyway. :) I looked in device manager, and it only lists my 1080 as a display device (it's a chunky "gamer" laptop), I'm not sure if it has integrated as a fallback or not, as I can't see anything like it, but it might just be hiding! :)

Thank you again! :)
AdamChutney

Postby joepal » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:57 pm

On many laptops it is also possible to say that a specific application should run on a specific graphics card. In those cases it isn't enough to change settings for the separate nvidia card, since the application doesn't run on it.

Unfortunately, the way to specify which card to use looks very different depending on vendor of the laptop. There is some text regarding this at the bottom of http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _not_start, but it is still not very specific to your particular situation,
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Newbies