MH Hair looks in Blender Render poor

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

MH Hair looks in Blender Render poor

Postby viebrix » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:57 pm

Hello,
thanks for MakeHuman and for this Community. Years ago I read about this interesting software, but didn't have time to install or use it. Again and Again I watched the great improvements of your software.
Last Week I could not resist and installed Make Human 1.2 and also Blender 2.93.1
I played a lot with modelling in MH and finally I installed MPFB V2.0a3. (Because of Linux Mint I a had some troubles installing it, but with documentation and reading this forum I could solve this problems with unzipping the plugin in the right folders manually. )

I created a Model in MH and added a Skeleton. Afterwards I imported it in Blender with MPFB - New Human - From Make Human - Import Human.
Everything worked smooth. The Model seems to look "perfect" in the viewport. But rendering with cylcles or Eevee shows another picture. Specially the hair seems to be "broken". There are black points and its not as beautiful as in the viewport or in makehuman.
As hair I used a community asset from @Elvaerwyn http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... hair1.html

I attach a Picture of
1. the render settings.
2. the render result ( red lines manually done by me) and
3 my viewport, where everything seems to look good
But changing some of render settings didn't help. I must also mention that I have no experience with blender. I only played years ago for some days with the software.

Thanks a lot
viebrix
Attachments
rendersettings_cycles.png
render_cycles_wrong.png
viewport_shading.png
viebrix

Re: MH Hair looks in Blender Render poor

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:08 pm

I've never seen that before. I can only guess. It does not look like a rendering issue to me, rather as a corrupt shape key or a modifier gone haywire.

Did you manually edit either mesh to remove or add vertices?

Anyway, some things to try:

* disable or remove all modifiers on both meshes to see if it makes any difference
* try saving the character as a human preset in MPFB, open a new scene and then "create from preset" to see if it makes any difference

You could post a screenshot on the shape key section of the object properties of the base mesh too, and we can see if something can be seen there.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby viebrix » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:34 pm

@joepal
Thanks for your answer and Help!

Currently I found the problem.
I changed following catmull Clark setting (particle) for render (see picture) which was 1 to 0 like it is for Levels viewport. And now the render looks good :)

I don't really know what I have done here but I'm very happy that it works... I also don't know why default settings differ here viewport/render

Thanks for helping!
Attachments
rendern_1.png
render settings changed from 1 to 0
render_setting_0.png
render result settings changed from 1 to 0
viebrix

Postby loki1950 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:30 am

Why subdivide an armature/skeleton only meshes can safely be subdivided so just delete the modifier would be a simpler solution.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby viebrix » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:54 pm

@loki1950
Thanks for your answer. Can't answer you why this is as it is. Those are the default settings. Done by importing the make human model/skeleton with MPFB V2.0a3. I haven't changed anything. Only added light and camera. And finally found this setting about the render?
viebrix

Postby joepal » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:58 pm

It's not the rig per se that's mentioned in the top of the image, it's the selected modifier, ie the "Armature" modifier.

But something is still very strange here. I don't have the same problem when using that particular hair, subdivision looks fine for me.

ashley_subdiv.png

There must be something else that is different or something we're missing.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby viebrix » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:09 pm

@joepal
Thanks for testing the particular Hair. Which blender Version do you use. Did you transfer the model/hair with MPFB into blender? What happens if you change "Levels viewport" to 1? If I make this also hair in the viewboard is messed.
Because I'm new to makehuman and blender - maybe I did some mistakes. But I tried it again and it was the same result.

Another question. When I have transfered a Model from MH into Blender with MPFB - how can I change clothes and hair? I have seen some screenshots/videos where people change those things in a Menu called "Model" or something equal (i dont really remember) but I have not such Menu 9in MPFB. I only have "New Human" "Apply Asset" "Manage Presets" "Create Asset" "Operations" "System and Resources" "Developers"

Beside - your Model looks very good with light setting etc.!

EDIT:

VERY Strange.
Now I unselected in MH at "Clothes" the Option to "Hide Surfaces under Clothed". Afterwards newly imported to blender and everything was finde.
Afterwards I reselected the option in MH and imported again and it's still find.
Appears that something in MH was messed with this option and - unselection / re selecting - rearranged it

Thanks a lot for your help and time!!!!

Edit2: Reimporting again leeds to the same problem - something must messed up when doing things in different order.
viebrix

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:58 pm

I can reproduce the issue with the hair. The "Hide Option" has no impact. Testing other hair meshes does not show similar problems. An import via MHX is also flawless.
The mesh causing trouble is triangulated.
Aranuvir

Postby viebrix » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:26 pm

@ Aranuvir:
Thanks for testing the the hairy topic :)
Maybe I did a mistake with the "Hide Option" Test.
Currently every Try again leads to the the problem with the hair - with or without hide Option. This problem exists for different hair named with "Elvs ...." but not for each "Elvs hair"
With hair from Standard Makehuman Library I had no issue. The workaround to delete subdivision or set it to 0 still works. But I think the meshes from Elv must have some incompatibility with the blender subdivision. But I'm to much novice to understand the problem.
thx
viebrix

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:46 pm

But I think the meshes from Elv must have some incompatibility with the blender subdivision.

No, its not really the mesh (despite the fact that it is tris only). An import via MHX and a vanilla obj import, I have done before, didn't show greater problems. So it must be the process of how the mesh is brought into Blender.
However there were no error messages, which means great fun to debug such problems...
Aranuvir

Next

Return to Newbies