Can't open the program

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Can't open the program

Postby Schwimpy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 pm

So I found this gem and downloaded the 1.2 release

But after unzipping it and opening the program I get an installation.
I thought that that is how it's done and installed, but there isn't any program to open after installing, just a bunch of folders.

I looked it up and you are supposed to be able to start the program just by unzipping it, and not even need to install?

I really want to get started with this amazing program, but I just cant get it to run.
Schwimpy

Re: Can't open the program

Postby Schwimpy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:20 pm

Ok, doing a quick search in the forum solved my problem, somewhat.
My own fault for not looking further than first page.

searching for the exe helped, but I still don't understand why there is no exe in the zip, or after installing it.
Schwimpy

Postby RobBaer » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:25 pm

It looks like you are on windows. I don't see exactly "how" you installed it, but if you downloaded the binary it IS an installler. When you run it, you get a choice of installing for just you or everyone. After that you should find the program in you start menu, and with the most recent versions you should also find an icon on the desktop.

If you downloaded the source instead of the binary, you will need to start the program by running somehting like python3 makehuman.py. This presumes you have python3 and the appropriate dependencies installed on your computer.
RobBaer

Postby Schwimpy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:47 pm

RobBaer wrote:It looks like you are on windows. I don't see exactly "how" you installed it, but if you downloaded the binary it IS an installler. When you run it, you get a choice of installing for just you or everyone. After that you should find the program in you start menu, and with the most recent versions you should also find an icon on the desktop.

If you downloaded the source instead of the binary, you will need to start the program by running somehting like python3 makehuman.py. This presumes you have python3 and the appropriate dependencies installed on your computer.

Yes, this is exatcly how it was.

I was just dumb enough to not check for the start.exe outside of my installed folder. I'm just used to it also existing within it.
Schwimpy

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:11 am

That is not so strange, since that was how it worked before. Back before we switched to pynsist for creating windows binaries, the recommended procedure was to go to the install folder and double-click the executable.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Newbies