Target is jagged but not in Blender

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Target is jagged but not in Blender

Postby BlauerKeks » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:59 pm

I'm very new to blender and MH, so this might be an easy fix

I made a target in blender that adds ridges and similar to a face, for an alien. In blender it is smooth but when I apply it in MH it's jagged and pieces are clipping together. I went back in to blender and smoothened out the worst bits, but it doesn't help much. When I turn down the slider it gets better but then the ridges are barely visible.

I assume I might just have to smooth it out more, perhaps by zooming in extremely close and then getting rid of all edges, but is there something else I'm missing? Slowly going from low to high, it looks like the top part might be sliding into the 'upper' ridges and that's causing the edges, but I don't know
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-16 15.55.png
makehuman
Screenshot 2022-07-16 15.54.33.png
Blender
BlauerKeks

Re: Target is jagged but not in Blender

Postby joepal » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:23 pm

Without having seen the target or the blend file, my guess is that you're modeling the target on a vanilla basemesh in blender, whereas in MH you apply it on a model which is 50% male, 50% female, 33% african, 33% asian and 33% caucasian.

You could try to model the target on a character imported from MH instead and see if that changes things.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby BlauerKeks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:03 pm

When I try to do that, e.g. by importing through blender itself an exported MH model, MakeTarget2 (v 2.1.0) says that I have to load a base mesh first. If I import a human through MakeHuman, it's the 'vanilla' one I used in the picture above. I assume that's not correct but rather that I messed up somewhere in those plugins? I had MakeHuman2 before and I could adapt things before importing a human; can't do that in the plugin I have, as far as I can tell
BlauerKeks

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:44 pm

If you use MPFB2, you get a pipeline which includes importing from MH (or simply creating a basemesh directly in blender) as well as a version of MakeTarget that works with that basemesh. I checked the roundtrip MH -> MPFB2 -> MakeTarget (in MPFB2) -> MH now, and it seems to work as expected.

maketarget_in_mpfb2.png

I fully understand that the various different versions of the various plugins are confusing and difficult to get a grip on. But as it stands now, I'd primarily recommend the MPFB2 versions of MakeSkin and MakeTarget, whereas MakeClothes still needs the standalone version.

To get started with MPFB2, see http://static.makehumancommunity.org/mp ... arted.html
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby BlauerKeks » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:43 am

As I said, I had MPFB2 before, but for some reason deleted it when I got MakeClothes. I'll de-download it as you suggested and give the target thing another try. Thanks a lot for helping out
BlauerKeks

Postby BlauerKeks » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:33 pm

So I downloaded mpfb2 again and imported a human from scratch, on which I then modelled and tried to save a target. The 'key' is there when I check the blender modifiers, but when I 'save target' I get an error message. I've tried googling it but nothing came up

"Python: [ERROR] mpfb.init ..............................: Unhandled crash
File "C:\Users\Anwender\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\mpfb\ui\maketarget\operators\writetarget.py", line 50, in execute
info = TargetService.get_shape_key_as_dict(blender_object, "PrimaryTarget")
File "C:\Users\Anwender\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\mpfb\services\targetservice.py", line 168, in get_shape_key_as_dict
raise ValueError("Object does not have the " + shape_key_name + " shape key")

Object does not have the PrimaryTarget shape key

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Anwender\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\mpfb\ui\maketarget\operators\writetarget.py", line 50, in execute
info = TargetService.get_shape_key_as_dict(blender_object, "PrimaryTarget")
File "C:\Users\Anwender\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\mpfb\services\targetservice.py", line 168, in get_shape_key_as_dict
raise ValueError("Object does not have the " + shape_key_name + " shape key")
ValueError: Object does not have the PrimaryTarget shape key"

Same thing when I make a new file, import a new human from scratch, go in mpfb2 on maketarget, do something to the model, click save. MakeTarget 2, meanwhile, has all options greyed out...
BlauerKeks

Postby joepal » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:36 am

Ok, that's not a very impressive user experience...

I see how that can happen, yes. The UI places you in an error state if you don't do the exact steps I tend to do. This is obviously not the way it is supposed to work, so I've made an update to the MPFB version of MakeTarget now.

I manually triggered the nightly build procedure again, so the build with today's date contains the fix.

Can you try with this version and see if it works better?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby BlauerKeks » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 am

Yes, it's working now! I'll have to try and recreate the target I wanted to do that was jagged, but at the very least everything else is working now. Thank you!
BlauerKeks

Postby joepal » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:18 pm

If you notice things that are bad, strange or simply not good UX while you're at it, please report back (preferably with a ticket at https://github.com/makehumancommunity/mpfb2/issues). I'm so used to these things that I'm completely blind to what needs to be fixed for the tools to be usable and understandable.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to Newbies