downloading custom clothes from site

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

downloading custom clothes from site

Postby fischeey » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 am

I've found a lot of good clothes models i want to use on the official site, but when i click on the link there is no download, i can only open a link to a new web page, it just seems to be a bunch of binary to someone who has no idea what binary looks like
i've included a link, i don't know if you all will be able to see it though

link with code
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/sites ... atop.mhclo
actual piece i want to download
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... bcoat.html

thanks in advance
sorry for being such a noob, this is still my first day
fischeey

Re: downloading custom clothes from site

Postby Ricardo2020 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:44 am

I hope this might make things easier to understand and deal with in terms of adding an asset to your local collection for use within Makehuman.

To download an asset from the listings, go to the page featuring said asset and note the list of files on the page. These will include an mhclo (MakeHuman clothes file), an mhmat (MakeHuman material file), and may also include an obj (wavefront object file), a thumbnail file that will probably be a png that needs renamed to thumb, and png files for diffuse, normal and bump textures and such.

For each file in the list, right click and save as. Put them in your download folder. Once you have all the files for said asset downloaded, go to the download folder and take note of the mhclo file. Create a folder with the exact name as this file (the text to the left of the .mhclo extension). Put all the files into this folder. (There will be times when the thumbnail files will have a png instead of a thumb extension and you will need to fix these.)

Finally, cut and paste this folder into your data/clothes folder inside the home directory for MakeHuman, usually in documents under windows and home on Linux. If it is a skin, put it in Skins, models in Models, etc.

If done correctly, you will see the new asset inside MakeHuman by using the Geometries tab.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Postby tomcat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:00 pm

fischeey wrote:I've found a lot of good clothes models i want to use on the official site, but when i click on the link there is no download…

There is another way. You can use "Download assets" in MakeHuman. Then the clothes will be installed automatically.

Download_assets.jpg
Download assets
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby loki1950 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:49 pm

There may be a wrinkle in the download from the web site do not use Microsoft's Edge as it does not allow you to right click "Save as" which is M$'s way of saying ohh this is dangerous so take that functionality out of the browser BTW Apple does the same with Safari so use Chrome or Firefox.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Ricardo2020 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:50 pm

Tomcat has given the best and most preferred way to do this.

My method is a fallback in case the asset downloader goes south, as it has done on my box, for reasons I cannot deduce. The manual way I use assumes you know your way around the folder structure within MakeHuman. The hirarchy differs a bit for windows, mac or linux. However, all three systems will put the files in your personal top directory.

Many thanks, Tomcat.
Ricardo2020

Postby Ricardo2020 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:15 pm

Firefox is the best choice, and it is even better when plugged in against ads on Linux. Any other method sells the unsuspecting user out to the antisocial media ad slingers. It is what big tech does and has nothing to do with the MakeHuman community site since it is ad free by default.
Ricardo2020

Return to Newbies