Can't Install Community Plugin

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Can't Install Community Plugin

Postby UnintelligentPenguin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:15 pm

Hello

I have installed make human several ways & versions, yet no matter what I do I cannot get the plug-in installed correclty or at least see the community tab....

I'm on manjaro KDE using the master version (1.2.0)

1) The folder & all of the files are unzipped to desktop

2) I followed the instructions & executed "download_asset_git.py" from the MakeHuman folder

3) I executed the "MakeHuman.py" script from the folder to open the application

4) I went to settings sub-tab "user plugins" where you can select from zipped plug-in or plug-in file. I have tried both ways & copying the zipped + unzipped plugins direclty into the plug-in folder (which is a folder with several filetypes in it other than python scripts) which also didn't work.

When I choose to "install zipped plug-in", I get an ackowledgement that it's installed but there is no other option that appears from the list of user plugins (only when choosing python scripts does anything show there & not all python scripts end up on that list with a check box). After restarting the application, nothing shows up & if I try to install it again, MakeHuman acknowledges that the zipped plug-in is already existing (though I can't find it in the plug-in folder).

When I install MakeHuman with a package manager, 2 files are created that I know of: "./opt/makehuman" & "./user/documents/makehuman". If I delete "./opt/makehuman" folder, nothing happens to "~/documents/makehuman" but if I delete the "~/documents/makehuman" folder then the other is deleted as well. Now I have downloaded both versions of 1.2.0 (master & git) & run them directly from their extracted folders from my desktop.

Do I need to move the build files or execute python scripts within the "MHAPI" plug-in folder? Does the folder need to have files manually moved from it into the plug-ins folder or just the whole file moved there after being unzipped? Do I have to put the unzipped file into the plug-ins folder before I select it as a zipped plug-in?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks! :D
UnintelligentPenguin

Re: Can't Install Community Plugin

Postby joepal » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:19 am

To my knowledge, none of the binaries distributed by MakeHuman install anything under /opt. This is probably a third part packaging of MH, and nothing we have any information about.

There is a step by step instruction for how to run from source here http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _source%3F

Maybe that is helpful?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Can't Install Community Plugin

Postby UnintelligentPenguin » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:28 pm

joepal wrote:To my knowledge, none of the binaries distributed by MakeHuman install anything under /opt. This is probably a third part packaging of MH, and nothing we have any information about.

There is a step by step instruction for how to run from source here http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _source%3F

Maybe that is helpful?

Your advice completely resolved the issue!

When I want to start MakeHuman, I just have to navigate to the folder to execute the "makehuman.py" script as using the terminal command in the instructions "python makehuman.py" can't find the directory becuase the install named the folder "makehuman-devel", but this is no problem. The community tab appears fine and I'm able to download assets.

Spent hours troubleshooting and happy to find a resolution.

Thank you so much!
UnintelligentPenguin

Return to Newbies